colour fading?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bettysue
Lively Laner

colour fading?

Post by bettysue »

i have two hens and one hasn't laid any eggs yet but i put this down to the fact she had to regrow feathers which had been pecked out but now the other one has stopped laying and the colour of her comb isn't as red as it was. unfortunately i don't know how old they are. could this be the problem or am i doing something wrong? they get veg, laying pellets and of course sweetcorn. Can any one help?

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hey bettysue
firstly dont panick, someone will be able to help!
how old are they?
are they ex batts?
do they get oyster shell/grit?
are they well in themselves?
are they eating and drinking well?

kat x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't know why yours have stopped laying, but the colour of the comb is an indication, when they come back into lay it will get redder.
Lets hope they don't keep you waiting too long.
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

kat i wish i was as optimistic as you! are you like that all the time. hens are ex-intensive free range so dont know how old. they get every thing they re supposed to have and proberly more besides. well i'll keep you posted to how they are thanks
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

lol bettysue,
there are some very knowledgeable people on here!
you should have seen me when mine got ill. i was all over the place txting and calling and emailing and posting messages all over the place trying to find out what the answer was!
she woke up next morning right as anything, looking for her food and wandering why i was all dittery!
yours doesnmt seem like a one day thing but we have to keep our fingers, legs, eyes, arms, toes and anything else crossed at these times!
something suggested to me was sugary water too!
could she be moulting?