Cramp Remedies

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Lo
Lively Laner

Cramp Remedies

Post by Lo »

I have a leg I can hardly walk on at the moment after having got cramp in the swimming pool. I thought I had suffered with cramp before and thought that people who said that they wouldn't be able to swim through it were just exagerating. Well 55 minutes into my swim I got cramp in the middle of the pool and just didn't know what to do. I thought I would just lightly swim it out but I just couldn't believe how impossible it was to do anything with my leg. Once out of the pool I hobbled to my car. Luckily it was my clutch leg as otherwise I don't think I would have been able to drive. My oh said it's because I don't have salt on my food. I've always thought that there was enough salt that is hidden away in my food to help me here, although we do not eat processed food. I drink about 3 ltrs of water a day so that is not the problem.

Anyone any ideas about why this is occurring and best way to stop it occurring again. I've just got out of a very hot bath and that seems to have eased it slightly although I have a gym session in the morning and would like a cure please.

Lo
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya.
Can't help with remedies, but I have to keep walking around, when I get it, because I get it in my right foot.
But I think the lack of salt thingy is a myth. They were saying on the TV last week.
I am sure someone will come up with some goodies soon.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Tonic Water's quite good, it has a small amount of Quinine in it apparently. I often take some and it helps.
I get foot and toe cramps in bed, horrible.

Otherwise it's a Physio or Doctors job I think.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Cramp Remedies

Post by AnnaB »

Don't laugh, try it first....pinch your big toe hard with your thumb and finger in whichever leg it is in. It isn't easy to do when your leg is in agony but it does work. I think it is a Chinese remedy.

Lo you are right....
Salt is naturally occurring in vegetables and you do not require extra. Too much salt leads to high blood pressure which in turn causes heart disease and strokes.
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

Richard - for your toe and foot cramps in bed, someone down the pub reckons that putting a cork at the foot of your bed sorts the problem out. I'm just an old cynic and can't believe something like this works but he swears by it.

Lo

PS: think I'll be giving the gym a miss tomorrow!
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

For anyone who gets cramp in bed - try raising the foot of your bed slightly - rest it on a book or similar. Just a slight change is sometimes very effective.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
wendy

Post by wendy »

I get it in my toes at any time. I bent down to stroke the girls yesterday and wham.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I can't vouch for the validity of this but whenever I get a cramp my mum says 'oh you need Calcium and Magnesium'. Now I don't get cramp that often so I haven't been reaching for the tablets just yet but if you get a lot of cramps or severe cramps it might be that??

Probably Google it first, as I have no idea if this is right!! (although she did use to work in a pharmacy)
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

The cramp is caused by build up of lactic acid in the muscle fibres and it needs oxygen to dispel it. I take it they mean lots of DEEp breaths. I do this and it seems to work well. My legs get very cold in bed and thats when the muscles cramp up :shock: painful or what!!!!!! My deepest sympathy having cramp in a pool, thats how folks drown :shock: (f+
Looove chucks!
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

Salt... if you're getting cramp as a result of exercise, especially serious exercise, you possibly *are* depleting your salt reserves. It's why endurance cyclists use isotonic drinks on long rides, especially in hot weather. Whilst mostly folk have too much salt in their diet and it's right to watch your salt intake, when you exercise you do lose salt and it needs to be replaced. Really.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...eating more bannanas might help too.
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

Bananananananananananas are good - full of magnesium. We cyclists swear by them :-D Some of even have bananananananananana guards to stop them bruising whilst travelling sur velo!

http://www.bananaguard.com/

)j;
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Good grief!! Whatever next (wont tell you what I thought they resembled initially :shock: ....)

Fab idea though!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk