How much to make a pair of curtains?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
p.penn

Re: How much to make a pair of curtains?

Post by p.penn »

Sorry Jen, no idea. confused>

Personally, I would ask well over £1,000 because it would take me 2 or 3 months of agonising to do it!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Some professional curtain makers can charge thousands - we paid over a thousand pounds for our living room curtains to be made up (excluding all the fabric etc) although there were two pairs of huge full length curtains and a roman blind. It was one of the cheapest quotes we got :shock:
It really depends on how long it will take and how complicated the job is - do they want them to be hand pleated or use tape? Do the curtains need inter-lining? Are they going to be made on a machine or hand stitched?
I would work out roughly how long it should take to make them and then work out a reasonable hourly rate :-D

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Don't know how to price sorry, I suppose it depends if it is for friends. Try asking at a curtain shop for a quote to see what they charge?
I helped make curtains for all the rooms in our primary school and some at secondary school- didn't know I'd saved them that much money!
I got stopped by market research once and then phoned to check if I was real. They had wanted to know what shops I would use to buy curtains - I couldn't name any because it had never occured to me to do anything other than buy fabric and make my own.
I only do rough sewing machine hemming and curtain tape tops though, nothing fancy.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

A good friend of mine owns a curtain making shop and believe me it can cost an absolute fortune.
Mad Chick is right. It can cost well over a thousand for floor length with pellmets and tie backs.
A whole house could set you back in excess of 10,000. yike*
I agree that you should charge an hourly rate but be reasonable, that way it could generate some more business for you, but dont under price.
I was asked once if I did curtains but I said I would only do it if she wanted it made into a beaded evening gown. {rofwl} Curtains are `not` my thing at all.
Good luck Jen, you are very enterprising.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Peppa Pig
Learner Laner

Post by Peppa Pig »

I have made all of my own curtains over the years and refit if I can when we move.
I just make them always with g quality material ( but usually second hand) and a good liner. I mananged to find some vintage sanderson on Ebay for £12 which was a r find.
A few people have asked me to make them for them but I dont think they realised how much time goes into them especially if they want more than just straight forward ones with h tape and lined. My neighbour got a quote for some for her double doors leading into her conservatory and thet was £1500 + vat.
Maybe take down what she wants, tell her youll get back too her and then go to a couple of local places and see how much they would do it for.
Hope that helps >mmm<
Oink Oink!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Don't know about cost. I made all my curtains and the only thing I can add is...If your material has a pattern you need to think about how often it repeats before you buy the material if you want the two curtains to match when they meet. Some patterns go diagonally too, so are different at each edge. If the window is wide and you need to think about the seams too. I used to spend ages working out how to match it up and buy the least possible fabric.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

+confused+ bettie +confused+