I want to get more people to recycle

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

I want to get more people to recycle

Post by Meanqueen »

Can I please release some of my frustration here, I know you will understand. I am an old nosey parker who looks in other peoples bins and recycle boxes, well they are all on the kerbside on a mondays here. I have seen the brand new BT phone directory dumped still in it's wrapper in the general wast bin, perfectly good veg dumped, a brand new picture frame still in it's wrapper, and stuff that could be usefull to someone else.

Regarding recycling, why can't people do what they are asked to do and take off labels, wash and squash tins, take tops off bottles, put paper in the paper box, etc, is it that difficult?

In our local paper there was an article about recycled collections having to be put in landfill because they are contaminated. Food left in the tins, half full bottles of pop, things being put in the wrong bins.

I rang the council and spoke to a wishy washy sort of woman, making suggestions on how they might educate people. She basically said, 'we have done all that', and told me off for looking in bins.

I asked about recycling commercial waste because I see such a lot of perfectly good re usable stuff getting dumped. She said we don't deal with that, it's up to private disposal companies.

I said there should be a large building where larger items can be taken to give away or sell on, a bit like a large charity shop, I asked if the council could do that. She said no we can't it's not in the EU directive.

I drew a blank at every suggestion. I ended the conversation by saying, 'I will continue to pay my council council tax so you will get paid'. A bit sarcastic I know, she was just the person who happened to take my call. But she was like a record, programmed to repeat from the company manual.

It's like an ant trying to move a mountain, maybe I should just shut up, and be content to do my own little bit.

Sorry, Miss Nosey Parker.
Last edited by Meanqueen on 06 Apr 2008, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Round here wwe have just been given see through bin bags so no-one can bin anything that should go in recycling. The theory is the bin men wont take it if they see paper and things in it, but I havnt seen any of them actually looking. Not suprised, its probably not in the EU directive. :shock:

We recyle as much as we can and the path at the side of our back door looks like the clampets live here. The council give us a little tiny black box to put jars and tins in and come every two weeks, they only collect those and paper, so we went out an bought two black bins, one for cardboard and the other for plastic bottles and we (I say we I mean OH) takes it to the tip. We are getting recyling collections for those by 2009 so that will be a relief as its a bit of pain to be honest.

So dont worry Ilona, some of us are good. (f+
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Write to your local paper about it, and recommend people to give stuff away on freecycle, or to charity shops.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

GGGGGRRRRRRR!?~}?!%+?@<>?

Post by AnnaB »

Ilona

It has been covered on here before. It is really annoying. Councils have to meet the targets for recycling, they only have to do so much to get government approval to get paid.

We too only have a paper and tin/glass collection. I have asked about plastic and cardboard and they said in a couple of years.

I love the idea of see through bags - it could shame a few people, there again they don't have a conscience.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Anna, I must have missed the previous posts. I am going to stop snooping in bins, it only winds me up, and at my age, I have got to look after the old ticker. I might write to the local paper though, they usually print anything controversial, and there is an ongoing feud between them and the council.
I am going to start my new part time job tomorrow, driving a new motorhome, that will keep my mind occupied.
Ilona
)t'