new pink bags for plastics

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

new pink bags for plastics

Post by velvetmoonchild1 »

hi all

We have just had our first delivery of pink bags for plastic collections our council will pick them up fortnightly,

I have so many bins in the kitchen now it looks like a dump. Wish I had a garage so I can be more organised.
How does everyone else manage with a small house and not much storage to recycle. I am trying really hard, got a paper/cardboard bin, cans and bottles bin and a bin for the rest, now a plastics bin all in a postage stamp kitchen.
I work 40 hours a week too so going back and for the dump all week is not an option. And for the very green people I know thats just an excuse but add two kids an ark of animals and all the rest that comes with it I am honest I am struggling. )hlp>
How does everyone do it ???

lisa
Mum to two teenage boys,a deranged dog, an elderly incontinent cat RIP Newquay, two spoilt fish who I swear wag their tails when they see me and 1 welsummer, 4 light sussex, a speckled sussex and a bantam cross, 1 Bearded Dragon called Jade, a meal worm farm, I love chickens.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: new pink bags for plastics

Post by jannie »

I had this conversation with my daughter this morning...she also lives in Swansea.... Surely there are enough lay abouts on community service to sort some of the recycling at the depot.... }hairout{

As we said there are now far too many different bags to sort, it is only going to discourage young families, who lets be fair accumilate most rubbish, from recycling altogether.. :?

I have to admit though that once you are organised to do it..recycling becomes second nature.. We put all the plastic , tins and cardboard into 1 box and sort it the night before collection...... I won't buy anything that is excessively packaged, and my wheelie bin is almost empty most weeks even though I look after 3 of my grandchildren 4 days a week !!...

We had food waste bins delivered last week and as mine either goes to the chooks or compost bin I've recycled the bin for keeping the layers pellets in, ideal as it has a handle that locks the lid.... )t'
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

Great minds think alike I have my pellets in one of those food bins and their mixed corn in another, they just about take 25 kgs if you squish it a bit.

I am all for recycling I just wondered what was the magic formula, is there a special way that no one has told me yet that works.
And how does everyone fit it in to their houses.
Perhaps it's because the rest of my life is so chaotic that recycling just adds to the stress. yike*

I think I need a life coach too , I wonder if the council will deliver one ??

lisa
Mum to two teenage boys,a deranged dog, an elderly incontinent cat RIP Newquay, two spoilt fish who I swear wag their tails when they see me and 1 welsummer, 4 light sussex, a speckled sussex and a bantam cross, 1 Bearded Dragon called Jade, a meal worm farm, I love chickens.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I wish our council would recycle plastics.
I have two bins in our kitchen, one for landfill rubbish and one for recyclables. Like Janine I sort this the night before collection as we have to take plastic bottles to a local collection point. paper, glass and tins all go in one black box and the collection men sort them into the lorry.
I put food scraps in a small pot on the worktop for the chicken.
Cardboard packaging goes in a box next to the woodburner and gets burnt.
My son in Reading can put card, plastic, tins glass the lot in one bin and the council sort it.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am extremely lucky in this department. After several years of having a blue recycling crate in my kitchen (awful size, no lid, totally useless) the council must have had so many complaints that they changed a year or so ago and we have 2 wheelie bins now, one for household rubbish and one for mixed recycling. They take plastic bottles, paper, card, tins, bottles, jars and juice cartons. All mixed together. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. They alternate which bin they collect each week, but I have got my rubbish down to teeny amounts these days.

I also have a 'green joanna' compost bin in my garden, which takes ALL cooked and raw food. It was subsidised from the council, as was my 'normal' composter.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Helen, I'm not sure about putting cooked food into compost. Others may have a view on this, but I don't do it.
We have three wheely bins, one larger than the other two.
Green (large) for general waste for that which does not come under other categories.
Red for cardboard and plastic.
Brown for compostable material which gets what I don't want in any of my three compost bins.
We also have two boxes, which live in the utilty room. In that respect, we are lucky that we have somewhere to keep them where they don't get in the way.
They are blue, for paper, and green for glass and tins, sorted on the lorry when they are tipped.
I assume the red bin contents are sorted back at the yard as it is tipped into a normal refuse lorry into the back, although it would not surprise me (being a total cynic) to find that it all goes to landfill anyway! yike*
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Homemade wrote:My son in Reading can put card, plastic, tins glass the lot in one bin and the council sort it.

Lucky boy! We are a couple of miles outside of Reading Council area so have to sort it ourselves, but they do take quite a lot and they still collect our general rubbish every week so it's all good here :-D

We have a black wheelie bin for general rubbish, a green wheelie bin for garden waste (although we can't put vegetable waste in it which seems odd), a big plastic box for glass, another big plastic box for paper and card and then a huge green sack for plastic and metal (although it is very limited on the plastic that you can put in - no yoghurt pots or ready meal dishes)

The paper we keep on a shelf in the kitchen until it goes out. The wheelie bins are kept on the drive and the boxes are stacked one inside the other outside the back door. Everything just gets thrown in and then separated out into the correct box or bag the night before collection )t'

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hi Rod - re the cooked food - this particular composter is designed especially to take cooked food (and raw) including fish, meat and dairy.

GREEN JOANNA

As I said, mine was heavily subsidised by the council.

I tried a 'green cone' but you had to bury part of it 3 ft deep and it had to be in the sunniest spot and had to buy and add powder to it regularly - not for me. The Joanna is great though - had it a couple of years now.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Very interesting Helen.
I hope it works better than their proof-reader!
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I think we are lucky because I think our council have made recycling very easy for us.
WE have two normal wheelie bins - the black/grey one is for anything that cant be recycled. Then we have a brown one that is for all garden/plant waste, hedge trimmings, grass clippings, dead plants etc. We have also got a little kitchen caddy that ALL of our food scraps (except soup) can go in. All meat, veg, fish, pasta, rice, bones, bread, wether cooked or raw, everything goes in the caddy, and the caddy is emptied intot he brown bin. WE also get supplied with free biodegradable liners for the caddy )t' These bins are collected on alternate tuesdays.
WE also got supplied with two "Kerbie" kerbside recycling boxes (although we now have 6!!) These are used for all our recyclables. WE ended up with six because Owen drinks a ridiculous amount of diet cola, so both our boxes were filled with his 2-litre bottles alone. Now we have a box for paper, one for card, one for tins, one for glass and 2 for plastic bottles. The Kerbis boxes are left out by the back gate and collected every tuesday. We can also leave out other things with our boxes, they take old hand tools which are refurbished and then go to projects in developing countries, and they take clothes too.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

We dont have wheelie bins just black bags for normal waste.
we have to sort cans bottles glass paper card into the right bags, no mixing or they wont take them. Now it's plastics too.
I was just wondering how people who dont have wheelie bins ( they sound heavenly) manage to keep their recycling from taking over the house and looking a constant mess ????

lisa :-D
stacie
Lively Laner

Post by stacie »

We are a family of five (and up to four others five days a week, im a registered childminder) since starting this job and being home based our house hold has become very aware of recycling. I teach the children about recycling every day (such dirty little things are children so they love the recycling and composting and adding worms they find in the garden to the compost bin!)

Its sad to say but i think if i never started to work from home i wouldnt have thought id have the time to recycle (stupid i now know) it was the setting up and getting organised to find a system that works for us was the hardest ( :oops: and it wasnt really that hard)

I even bought a compost bin for the garden and a kitchen food scrap box to stop filling the wheely bin's. the composting will save me money next year when i do planting with the children too.
my only wish is that the council would send us another wheely recycle bin.

my kitchen has five bins :oops: and the smallest one is for none recycling items. my four year old takes his time when visiting the bin to ensure he puts it in the right one and my 2 year old follows to watch!
now and again we get full so we make a trip to the recycle center my own children love that place, why they do i have no idea, you would think i was taking them to the fair!

recycling is part of our every day life now and the children love the fact that we can reuse things for a different purpose.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi stacie, I think that's wonderful that you are teaching young children to recycle. Hopefully they will keep that information in their heads for the rest of their lives, and wont be part of the yob culture that discards their rubbish willy nilly around our streets. I have just got back from picking litter in my village, something I do voluntarily because I cant stand the sight of the stuff.
Ilona
stacie
Lively Laner

Post by stacie »

oh i did that too, we got a pack from 'the big tidy up' and they sent stickers for the children so we made a day of it litter picking! )t'
must say it was a hard day (for me anyways) keeping an eye out and reminding them what was ok to pick up, so much other nasty things that just get dumped is shocking, we stuck to wrappers and crisp packets as my heart just couldnt take it
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I am finding that because we only have fortnightly collections, we have far more flies this year than ever before.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.