Save your empty crisp packets

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Re: Save your empty crisp packets

Post by Sunny B »

Recycling is better than nothing, and I dare say the packets go off on a ship that had delivered a lot of cheap consumer goods and would otherwise be going back empty.

In my view the best way with these things is try to avoid the packaging. Crisps are something with such a massive mark up, I hardly ever buy them. You can cut up a spud with a potato peeler and fry your own, they are nice with vegetable bouillon or just salt. You can also use parsnips and beetroot, like the really expensive crisps!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Surely if crisp packets can be recycled would it not be better to do it here in the UK rather than ship them to the Philipines :?
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

I re-use rather than recycle my wine corks (both natural cork ones and plastic) by using them in the botton of planters or plant pots to aid drainage (cutting them up if smaller peices are required).
Works a treat.
)t'
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

In the case of cork, 41 species of insects and other animals are affected by the industry.
Some are the following.
1 The trees have to be harvested otherwise they die.
2.If the trees go, so does the liveihood of the cork oak farmers, and the pig farmers who produce quality ham, because they use the orchards to produce the pigs for the ham.
3.The trees also support and give a habitat for dozens of birds and insects.
4. What would they replace the cork orchards with anyway then?
Its very rare for cork to contaminate wine anyway. Cork is also biodegradable anyway and plastic isnt. Those bl@@dy plastic corks get stuck in the bottle anyway. I hate screw top bottles as well, because then you have to recycle the cap seperately from the bottle. As others do, you can use your corks for all sorts of things in the home or garden.
Sending crisp bags to 3rd world countries to make them into other things, on the face of it seems to be a good idea, but surely we should be more enterprising here and do it ourselves. Maybe its just laziness.
Instead of punishing the British public by finening us for not recylcli, they should heavily come down on manufacturers who sell things so heavily packadged. I personally dont ask for all the packets and card I am presented with.
When I was a child, we occasionally managed to fill a standard dustbin, which the men collected,from wherever it was left as long as they could see it from the pavement. Now!!! we have giant bins which they refuse to touch if they are more than 3 inches from where you are `told` to put them. My mother has 4 different containers to put things in and a crock pot thingy. Please!! its an insult to our intellegence. Trouble is, we have been pressured into shopping differently and people dont know any different, because society has changed so much over the last 35 years.
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

I've got to agree with you SS in you summing up of the case for real corks.
I do also prefer taking a proper cork out of a wine bottle and I always use real corks for my home made wine. :-D
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

As a girlie girl who makes wine, I hate the plastic corks as I cannot get them into the bottles, even with my corker and after eating lots of spinach.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

You cant a;ways get them out of the blasted bottles either. I hate them
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
bethanyyann
Learner Laner

Post by bethanyyann »

the best things to do with things like crisp packets and non-reusable packaging is to make it out of something that can either be decomposed or recycled.

i know of a designer that makes garments out of sweet boxes, paper napkins ect. but i cant remember his name {cry}