Free Range Products

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

Free Range Products

Post by saint-spoon »

Since Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall’s campaign to stop folk buying immorally reared chickens, we (My Wife and myself) have been monitoring the shelves of our local supermarkets to see how much actual effect it has had. I am sad to say that it seems to us that it has had the opposite effect; at first we thought that the absence of free range chicken on the shelves was due to a higher demand but now it seems that here is no place set aside for it. One super-market has upped the advertising of it’s own apparently chook friendly brand but if you read the small print it is only the picture on the label that has changed. It seems that the conscience of the masses is eased by a nice picture of happy chooks in open fields. At the same time the shelves remain packed to the brim with intensively reared products. The same goes for pork and they really get a bad deal. I am not a veggie, nor do I intend to be but I have always demanded free range; wild salmon is better than farmed etc etc.
The upshot is that I would ask you to have a look as and when you visit a supermarket (I don’t see what is so super about them much these days) and guess what proportion of the rubbish they are selling is produced to maximise profit and shelf life and how much actually owns a conscience.
Fortunately we have a good local fruit and veg shop but alas all our local butchers have been forced out of business. (we’ve still got a good fish monger and game merchant so please don’t suggest I convert).

Dave.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Free Range Products

Post by AnnaB »

Hi saint-spoon

If you look in Chicken Welfare there is a topic 'Supermarket sales'
We have all been looking at the shelves and I agree with your labelling comment. A local supermarket has 'pretty' pictures on its meat and poultry.

There are vegetarians on the forum but also a lot of eat meat.

Anna

Your comment about wild salmon - I'm having the last piece tomorrow and will wait until July for the next salmon season.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

The wild seat trout is rapidly facing extinction due to the abundance of salmon farms in estuarine waters; the sea lice epidemic ensures this. I love salmon but unfortunately the year round supply of cheap fresh produce is destroying the natural heritage. Soya production is one of the major contributing factors in Brazilian rainforest destruction; animal feed mostly, or so I am led to believe. I shall investigate said thread and chuck my oar in there.