Whaling

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Stig
Lively Laner

Whaling

Post by Stig »

There is a strong chance that whaling will once again become legal:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 87997.html

I don't understand why the world would sit by and let this happen! The suggestion is that EU beauraucracy effectively prevents European countries from having a say in the matter. What is going on??

Very very saddening.
Mad Chick

Re: Whaling

Post by Mad Chick »

Unbelievably sad that any country could even for one second consider lifting the ban on whaling }hairout{

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Post by wendy »

I can only second what you say Lucy.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Sad, sad news.

Jo x
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Noooooooooooooooooooo }hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{ {warn} {warn}
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I have followed this over the past few years through BBc wild life with increasing disbelief. Whilst Japan have continued their “scientific whaling programme” throughout, Norway and Iceland have just continued to ignore the ban as and when the felt like it; I believe that they both ceased whaling for a while until the decided that they wanted to start again. Korea have also had loop-holes in their law allowing “accidentally” caught whales to be exported to Japan rather than go to waste; I would imagine that there is a lot more profit in accidental targets than legitimate fishing.
Unbelievably it appears that there is quite a lot of (quiet)support for whaling throughout the western world; it would appear that when a dead whale washes ashore there are questions asked and fingesr pointed at over fishing of food sources, oil exploration, military sonar, off shore pollution and shipping collisions (etc); there are obviously a lot of countries who’d rather that these questions weren’t asked.
Bah Humbug
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

We don't need to hunt whales for food anymore, I am amazed it is even being considered {cry}

Turtles are still hunted for food in certain parts of the world, not on a massive scale but by local fishermen. {cry}
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Bl**dy awful }hairout{ {mr.angry}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

nc
foghornleghorn2 wrote:We don't need to hunt whales for food anymore, I am amazed it is even being considered {cry}

Turtles are still hunted for food in certain parts of the world, not on a massive scale but by local fishermen. {cry}

In truth hunting turtles has little effect on their numbers when compared to the amount that starve to death after ingesting plastic bags which prevent them from feeding; slow and agonising I would have though. Apparently the turtles that feed on jelly fish aren’t that good at distinguishing between the real thing and anything else that floats and looks a bit like the real thing; rubber balloons released at large public events are also responsible for numerous turtle deaths.
Bah Humbug
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Here is some good news!:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/whales_reportback_3/?vl

Whales the world over can sleep a little easier in their (sea)beds now!