Who Eats this Stuff Anyway?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Stig
Lively Laner

Who Eats this Stuff Anyway?

Post by Stig »

Disgusting and vile - but who is surprised?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... meals.html
wendy

Re: Who Eats this Stuff Anyway?

Post by wendy »

I agree entirely, Stig. Disgusting and vile.

Never go to Mc's or eat any poultry, but we all know this goes on in other Countries. That is why we must support British farmers. We can have a say what goes on in this Country....eventually.
Mc's have been trying to improve their image, after the big court case. But still have a long way to go.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Brakersway
Lively Laner

Post by Brakersway »

I agree, its disgusting the way they are raised. But its not fair too pick mc'ds out of the line and place it on them. It would be like blaming Morrisons for battery farming, even though other shops stock the same product. But it cannot be denied, that if Mc'ds changed there supplier, they would make a hell of a dent in the brazilian exported chicken trade. So fingers crossed, they act on it soon. )t'
If you try to fail and succeed.
What have you done?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Ditto to all above.

I rarely eat chicken as I prefer the other meats generally, however, my rooster was lovely. I knew how he was raised and what he was fed on - 'cos I reared him- he was lovely. Prolly why I don't care much for the shop bought,intensively reared meat................. tastes bland.
One confession I do like the coating on KFC but if I eat that a handful of times a year. Plus I am supposed to steer clear of chuck skin now {cry}
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I feel the problem goes much deeper. Many people eat this kind of food because they are lazy and cant be bothered to cook or simply are unable to cook.
Personally I like to know what is the food I eat and we only ever went to Mcs on rare occasions, when the kids were small.
For my part I am sick and tired of `wherever` you go, you find these fast food outlets. There seems to be at least one in `every town`and sometimes many more. Thats ok if you are on holiday, but surely not for a daily balanced intake.
The process of how they aquire the ingredients `is` vile and degrading. I agree whole heartedly on that point. I`m sorry if I offend but I personally would close at least half of the outlets of this sort, across the whole country and then I would at least double the prices.
If there was a genuine wish to encourage us to eat healthy food they should make the healthy stuff `dirt` cheap and make all processed foods `much` more expensive.
My grownup daughters ended up in casualty with `C coli` from eating in one major fast food place. and the silly girls still havnt learned their lesson. They only have themselves to blame, and I told them so! You are what you eat.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I'm saddened to say my teenage kids have gravitated to fast food restaurants like McD's & KFC as they've got older. I don't think they particularly like the food, but these places actively cater for adolescents when nowhere else does.

They're not even "cool" places are they? Highly plastic and devoid of any atmosphere. I'm surprised there is no competition really. Bit of pop music & access to internet would surely clean up the market! Wonder if it would be possible to open a veggie cafe geared to adolescents?
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Yes it does seem to be more younger people who go to these places, although not always. I am of a generation who grew up without fast food mentality so its not part of the norm to go there.
Theres nothing wrong with it on the odd occasion, but when you research and realise where the ingredients come from and how its sourced, it looses its appeal.
I always cooked for my family, and still do and my kids are what you might call `foodies`, but same as yours, mine do go to KFC and Mcs sometimes. For me it kinda disorts what food should taste like.
I suppose its like `mobile phones`. `My` kids cant even imagine what life could possibly be like without one. I remember quite well, life, pre-mobile and it was absolutely fine thanks.
Society is so different now and so are lifestyles that I dont think there is a way back and what is `the norm` for one generation, appalls another.
Dont know what the answer is. Its mostly exploitative and is purely for the generation of money. Trouble is that there is a large sector who rely on working in these places for income, so they would be unemployed if they were closed, so that presents a problem, On a personal level, the only thing to do is vote with your feet, but often, that isnt enough. We have globally allowed this kind of catering to infiltrate, so we are stuck with it. {cry}
Its sad to see top chefs endorse it though when they should know better.!
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Peppa Pig
Learner Laner

Post by Peppa Pig »

I have to admit that sadly I worked at a place in Milton keynes some years ago whilst studying packing burgers for McDonalds. I stopped eating meat for years after that.
Worked from 5.30 am till 2pm so I saw everything that went on and I will never be taking my toddler to any fast food outlet.
One end of the factory was this huge tiled hall about the same size as a sportshall. All the massive frozen lumps of meat came in there to thaw out.
Lots of bits and bobs and everything really.
I will always remember seeing a pigs snout one day and as I knew it would be going in to the breakfast burgers this made me r ill and I ended up being not very well at that point and running to the ladies
Being r interested in science and believing "you become what you eat "Sir Tim Hunt ,it comes as no suprise that so many people have health problems related back to what they consume.
If we are to eat other mammals there has to surely be a standard to how they are reared and slaughtered. Sometimes it seems as though we are addicted to food in our "civillised" society. Do we live to eat instead of just fueling our bodies with what we need to live.
Personally Im tired of cooking programmes, eat this, eat that. Our supermarkets a stuffed full of stuff we dont need but does having the money to afford those things in the end just make us ill and others richer.
Oink Oink!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Brakersway wrote:I agree, its disgusting the way they are raised. But its not fair too pick mc'ds out of the line and place it on them. It would be like blaming Morrisons for battery farming, even though other shops stock the same product. But it cannot be denied, that if Mc'ds changed there supplier, they would make a hell of a dent in the brazilian exported chicken trade. So fingers crossed, they act on it soon. )t'

Very well put. I think that much of the problem is deceptive advertising by the big companies and the unwillingness of government to legislate against such practices as well as the the importation of such products.
I once had a conversation with a Scottish chap in a bar in Constanta (Romania), his business was importing chickens from Brazil and turning them into processed food products for consumption in the UK. Dippers dunkers, burgers, pies etc were all apparently repackaged or modified in the UK so that they could claim British origin.
Bah Humbug
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

I try and avoid Mcdonalds Burger King etc etc

I remember when the BSE scare was on that McD proudly announced that they had stopped putting the spinal cord into its burgers. yike*

Problem is when they state 100% beef you just don't know what bits are going in the mincer, I can think of a few bits that I wouldn't really fancy. {warn}
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum