Why can't I throw things away?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Why can't I throw things away?

Post by Sunny B »

I'm having a big tidy and declutter for the new year, but find myself putting things back as they are not good enough for the charity shop but not so bad as to be thrown away!
I have just kept a very old swimming costume, it is fine, except it used to be blue and is now a vaguely blue washed out sort of colour. I never wear it, and am unlikely to, as I have two new ones but feel the need to keep it "just in case".
Why can't I just say goodbye and put it in the bin? }hairout{
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Why can't I throw things away?

Post by kate egg »

Cannot help there, we are very much of the thoughts if it's not been used for 6 months you can live without it, so first eBay, second charity shop, 3rd rags for the house / garage, 4th bin it )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Going to use your suggestions, Kate.

Going to have a declutter and try and make a bit extra cash whilst Im on.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

My Husband will hoard anything, i bin it if i cant take it to charity, i get fed up with going through cupboards full of things that will never get used, i get rid of them when he isnt looking ((w
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

He, he, June does that when i'm not looking as well. I always throw old a ripped jeans into the clothes bank as they get recycled and sold on as rags; I suspect that a lot of stuff that is still good to be worn ends up that way if the bales we used to get were anything to go by. I have been better recently and took quite a few bags down for recycling.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have to be in the right frame of mind and get several boxes and a bin bag. As Kate says, one for ebay, one for charity, one for loft and the bin bag. Give yourself a time limit to - say 30 mins to start with, set a timer and go like the clappers.

Put a date the loft one - if you haven't opened it in 6 months, charity/boot it.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

My OH has made hoarding into an art form. It has caused quite a bit of friction over the years. {cry}
Whilst I am not totally blameless, I find most days are spent moving things from pile to pile and none of it ever disappears.
It even extends to hoarding things which are recorded on the telly, so that on the odd occasion of me wanting to record something, there isnt always space left. {cry}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I'm the worst of horders.
But I do have the answer to the not good enough for the charity shop. Jumble Sales. I organise one every year for toddler group. All my old stuff goes in and my new wardrobe for the year comes out. )t'
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
bethanyyann
Learner Laner

Post by bethanyyann »

i have a family of hoarders, but after taking textiles i can fing a way of making something usefull out of anything!
the worst thging to do is get something cheap so when its slightly old or damaged its easy to replace it, most things can be so easily mended if you just look in the right places!
for example, i made a dress completely made out of old jeans in my wardroe for my textiles last year, and one of those plane pillow things out of socks! :-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

We are opposite end. If I haven't used it, like Kate, it goes.
Spencer keeps everything and when I throw it away he hits the roof.
I now have the policy if something comes in the equivalent goes out ! He is not happy, but if he doesn't do it he knows I will.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Recycle through the various recycling websites. You'll be surprised what people will fetch.
bethanyyann
Learner Laner

Post by bethanyyann »

yeahhh im gonna use them for my textiles research next year :-D (Y)
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I go through cycles of accumulating stuff & cycles of chucking it out. At the moment we're getting the house ready to go on the market, so I'm trying hard to cull as much as I can.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I am going to attempt to blitz this week as I am doing a boot fair on Sunday. Not sure what the chances are of making any money though. I always have the feeling `who on earth would want what `I` dont want any more, but you never know. I have been known to buy at boot fairs myself. :oops:
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
gwnio
Lively Laner

Post by gwnio »

I'm a terrible hoarder, still have all of my son's clothes since birth "just in case I have another boy oneday"!

Once in a blue moon we will be reckless and recycle/give to charity/re-use as rags, but that is very rare... in fact we're due a clear out as the attic is crammed full!
At home with too many cats, 2 dogs, 2 goldfish, a 5 year old & a hubby, and 2 (soon to be 4) chooks - Jerry & Ginger!