Still making things out of rubbish

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Still making things out of rubbish

Post by Meanqueen »

I've just made this bag out of 35 cat food pouches, the full story is on my blog.

Ilona
newto
Longlasting Laner

Re: Still making things out of rubbish

Post by newto »

that´s just brilliant!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

What a lovely bag Ilona, did it take you very long to create? From a practical point of view have you cut individual panels from the packets or have you sown the pouches together whole? Next question, are the cat foods sewn onto a lining or are they forming the entire bag. I ask because I saw a thing about Pilipino children who had made a business out of making shopping bags from materials they had found on rubbish dumps.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It was an idea I had in mind after seeing a similar bag made out of drinks pouches, it didn't take long once I had collected and washed them. Instead of opening them at the top as you would normally, I used a sharp craft knife to slice an opening in the gusset at the bottom. Then you can remove the contents without damaging the pouch.

They are sewn together, yes they are whole, the writing at the top of the pouch is hidden by overlapping the one above it. I made the horizontal strips then stitched the vertical seams.

I made the lining to fit exactly, and the handles to match. The pouches are not sewn to the lining, except for the two rows of stitching around the top edge. I did think about sewing them to the lining first then assembling it. But the final seams that join the front, back, sides and bottom have to be sewn on the outside, so you wouldn't be able to get a neat finish inside. It would be very difficult to keep everything in place while it was going through the machine.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer, thanks for asking. There are more pictures on my blog. I do think that if I felt inclined to churn these out they would sell like hot cakes. But my interest is in thinking up ideas and trying to make them work.
Ilona
BekiB
Lively Laner

Post by BekiB »

Your bag is fab - and you're right, I think they would sell well. I see on your blog you're going to do the pink and turquiose version next - my girls (and no, they're not chickens) would love to see that!

I then got distracted and started reading on about the scrapstore -very sad, they're great places imho - sorry )ot: !
BekiB
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Meanqueen wrote: I do think that if I felt inclined to churn these out they would sell like hot cakes. But my interest is in thinking up ideas and trying to make them work.
Ilona

Unique creations are best, and more fun for yourself of course.
Bah Humbug
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

That's so cool )t' is it quite strong?You could still sell a few individual designs and keep the supply very limited )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes it is quite strong, I'm sure the stitching would hold it together ok, though if you only used it for heavy vegetables it would shorten it's life expectancy. The double thickness of the pouches make it strong. I think it's too nice to use for everyday shopping, you would want to maybe keep it for carrying other things about, like a work bag, or carrying swimwear, or sandwiches and a cardy for a day out. I might make another one, two pouches wide, to see how that works out.
Ilona
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I absolutely love your bag Ilona. )t' )t'
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

That is brilliant....with 5 cats to feed you can imagine the number of pouches I have......
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Meanqueen wrote:Yes it is quite strong, I'm sure the stitching would hold it together ok, though if you only used it for heavy vegetables it would shorten it's life expectancy. The double thickness of the pouches make it strong. I think it's too nice to use for everyday shopping, you would want to maybe keep it for carrying other things about, like a work bag, or carrying swimwear, or sandwiches and a cardy for a day out. I might make another one, two pouches wide, to see how that works out.
Ilona

Or you could use it to carry pouches of cat food back from the shop )j;
Bah Humbug
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i must admire your resourcefulness
how the hell do you come up with all your ideas
this is about my limit )gr:
a hat !!!!!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Dave,
If you want to look really trendy wear it with the peak at the back.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Bllomin heck Dave - that is talent!

Ilona, huge respect for your inventiveness in recycling, you should have been a presenter on Blue Peter!

I'm afraid if I made one, Tesco's own brand doesn't have quite the same design value!

But good for you, nice work.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

I adore the things you make Meanqueen! And I have been reading your blog :-D You are so creative and imaginative {hug} I absolutely adore this 'cat bag' It looks so well made. What did you line it with if you don't mind me asking? I think you could still present Blue Peter!!

As for your creations Dave {rofwl} {rofwl} You could set a trend at Ascot Ladies day!

Ma Larkin