Still making things out of rubbish

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Still making things out of rubbish

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Ma, the lining is from a skirt someone had started to make but didn't finish, it's a thickish cotton fabric. People have started to give me fabrics, clothes to cut up, ribbons and lace, wool and cottons, because they know I can use them. I have quite a stash.

I have been asked to show my work at the Arts Centre on the 31st of July. They are having a recycling exhibition, and I shall be showing people how to make things, hopefully to inspire them to have a go.
20-21 Arts Centre activities
They are using my ideas for the zip workshop on the 27th as well.
I'm glad you like my blog, I enjoy writing it.
Ilona
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Dave,
If you want to look really trendy wear it with the peak at the back.
Dom

Too right. I am sure Dave has eyes in the back of his head..... :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Let us know how it went Ilona )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oooh yes, that is very exciting! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I love that Ilona, very creative. I can't come up with a single original idea of my own, I have to copy other people's. Shame I don't buy cat pouches.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
jennyt
Lively Laner

Post by jennyt »

my cat would absolutely love that bag - he eats dried food, but gets a pouch now and then for a treat - but the biggest treat for him would be a wall to wall supply of BAGS to lick (he's got a bit of a bag fetish)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Meredith, it is ok to look at other peoples work then come up with your own version of it. Ideas are there for inspiration. I go to craft fairs, look round art galleries, and look on the internet, I see something and think, would it work if I used plastic instead of fabric, or maybe I'll try and make one smaller, or larger, perhaps I'll sew it instead of stick it, or it would look better in a different colour.

If you kick start your inventive mind with something simple, eventually you will get a light bulb moment. I hadn't seen anyone knit with video tape before so I tried it and made a bag. That idea came from cutting carrier bags into strips and knitting it, something that is very popular now. So don't be despondent, have a go, you don't know where it will lead.
Ilona
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

It's a case of seeing old things in a new light isn't it? You have inspired me with the video tape idea as well, I have a shed full of old videos. My local charity shop has stopped taking them because they don't sell anymore. I think I will do some unwinding when I get a chance and have a go. Still not my idea though, I hope you don't mind me copying.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Here is another felix bag, I have used a patterned fabric for the lining, it works quite well. Althought I have used one pouch less than the previous one, it is bigger because it is two pouches wide and I haven't overlapped them. More pictures on the blog. Thanks for looking.
Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

p.penn wrote:
Totally Scrambled wrote:Dave,
If you want to look really trendy wear it with the peak at the back.
Dom

Too right. I am sure Dave has eyes in the back of his head..... :-D

)ot: I once asked an American gentleman (in San Diego) where I could purchase a base ball cap with the peak on the back (he was wearing his back to front). Amusingly he proceeded to explain at length how it was just a regular cap that he had donned backwards as a fashion statement; we obviously widdled in our pants laughing but not until the gent had gone on his way. Unsurprisingly we managed to dupe quite a few of the American public into explain their cap wearing choice throughout the day and the more fizzy foreign lager was consumed the more pant widdling laughter occurred. )j;

Anyway back on topic, I did see the other day an umbrella to which someone had stitched loads of badges from places they had been and the patchwork effect reminded me of Ilona’s first pouch bag; I was therefore wondering if, given an umbrella frame, cat food pouches could be used to good effect or would the bee too heavy for the job?
P>S I like the wider bag more to be honest MQ, it looks a bit more practical for food shopping which is about the only time that I’d carry such an accessory.
Bah Humbug
jennyt
Lively Laner

Post by jennyt »

just wondering - if you stitched badges to umbrella, wouldn't the rain come through :?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It would be very difficult to make an umbrella cover with the pouches, they are double thickness and wouldn't bend when you fold the unbrella up. And yes it would be too heavy and cumbersome to carry around. Seems daft to sew badges on a normal umbrela though.
Ilona
Jane in London
Lively Laner

Post by Jane in London »

I think the stuff you make is really great, Ilona. You also seem to pay careful attention to detail - everything is nicely finished off, etc - which also makes them a cut above.

Jane
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Jane, I do try.
I thought these pink pouches would look nice on their own so I made a smaller bag. Twelve pouches, six back and front, with a 1.5inch gusset. I have used the tougher fabric from the gazebo roof to join the two sides, and made the lining and handles from a softer fabric. Luckily they are the same shade of blue so match perfectly.

I would have preferred to put a zip in the top, but I didn't have the right size or colour, and it would have been very awkward to put it through the machine. So I have compromised with black velcro dots. This should work fine because the bag is quite deep so if it is not stuffed full, the contents should not fall out.
Ilona
Chuckabiddys
Learner Laner

Post by Chuckabiddys »

That is fantastic, well done.
Heidi & Paul