Deadly Larch Fungus

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Deadly Larch Fungus

Post by jannie »

I am in a state of shock...
I live right by the forestry and yesterday the Forestry Commission put up signs warning that the area is now a Biosecurity area as Deadly Larch Fungus has been found in the woods...the dead trees are about 80 metres from my house.. yike*
The damage this fungus causes is far reaching..it even kills off the bilberries (or winberries as we call them)....and blueberries which I have in the garden. Other trees and plants I have in my garden that can also be infected are Beech, Holm Oak, Heather and Lavender...
I don't feel very smug about how well my garden is doing now, no-one can tell me that it won't affect any of my fruit, veg or flowers....I feel really depressed. {cry}
I took this pic of my lavender hedge yesterday, don't know how long it will survive now....

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf ... 3D005CD276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Re: Deadly Larch Fungus

Post by secret squirrel »

What a shame and a disaster. {cry} I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. {hug}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
mmm
Lively Laner

Post by mmm »

Id not heard of this fungus before. So sorry to hear how close it is to you. Is it spread by spores in the wind?

Fingers crossed it doesnt reach you {hug}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

The worrying thing is that scientists don't know how to contain this fungus...It was first found in 2002 in a garden centre in an imported viburnum tree.. Last year there were fewer than 200 infected trees in Britain.. This year it seems to be spreading like wild fire..

It can be spread by rain, air flow, mist, walkers boots, dogs paws, bike tyres, etc, etc..

I think this should be on the national news... there are suspected sites for this fungus all over the south west of Wales and England and unless people know about it we won't contain it..!!!!!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

bettie wrote: Does deadly just refer to plants, not people??

That's the first time I've smiled about this, thanks Jen ..... )t'

...but then thinking about it, does anybody know.????? yike* ..

Why do they refer to it as "deadly".. +confused+ OMG I bet they don't know how it affects people...

Time to ring Forestry Commision again, they'll be sick of me.. )gr:
perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh Jannie thats is awful, I do hope that you won't be affected, you have a beautiful garden and work hard in it, keep us posted )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks perchy... )t'

Spoke to young man in Forestry Commision this afternnoon who could only say that this fungus is being treated with great concern .....no advice as yet for residents living close to the infected areas...someone would ring me back this afternoon...well they haven't.. )gr:
also phoned DEFRA helpline on advice of same young man, all they could say was that they were monitoring the situation and were still in discussions with 'experts'.
I get the impression that everyone is very concerned but no-one really knows the extent of what this fungus is capable of.....the rate of spread is unprecedented...
This is a link to the current spread, our red dot isn't on here yet!!

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-86ajqa"

Another day on the phone tomorrow! }hairout{
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

OMG yike*
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I took a picture of the woods from my garden this morning before my view changes with the felling program... {cry}
You can see one of the dead trees on the right and the rest are dying back, the blackened trunks are typical of this disease... This is just one of several areas affected in this woodland..

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

All the larch and rhododendrum are being felled as they are host trees, but they will also clear any trees, shrub or plant that shows signs of infection...so sad.. {cry} its going to change the landscape all around our village..
perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh Jannie what a beautiful view, I do hope it isn't too devastating for you {cry}
Sara

Post by Sara »

How awfull. It cant imagine how this will change the landscape all around you........ {cry}

Fingers crossed there arent any health problems for people or animals. {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Nothing is making me feel better about this outbreak of Phytophthora ramorum to give it it's proper name...in fact, information released by Fera. Defra. has made me realise that this is a big threat to the planet, we cannot live without trees, shrubs and plants and there is no treatment for this fungus other than burning, but that doesn't destroy the spores which can survive in the soil for years...The forestry commission are deeply concerned because it's destroying valuable timber and leaving the ground unsuitable for replanting........They have at least 12 months felling to do to deal with the current spread......I am deeply concerned because no-one..(and I've spoken to the top managers in several organisations)...can tell me that the larch hasn't provided the dreaded perfect breeding ground for this destructive fungus.....and there is not enough manpower or resourses to contain this.... 2 days ago we had a bunch of off road bikers scrambling through the forest, when questioned they were from the midlands and had no interest in biosecurity whatsoever........
I am still badgering the powers that be to get this information out to the public asap...well I'm going to do my bit...
please read :-

http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/pub ... tsheet.pdf"
firestorm
Learner Laner

Post by firestorm »

We have had this disease where I live http://www.thisislichfield.co.uk/cannocknews/Tackling-plant-destroyer-Cannock-Chase/article-616680-detail/article.html. I also have similar views from my house too.
But I will say that although they destroyed all the biberry bushes (about 800yds from my house) nothing in my garden was affected - I have a lavender hedge like yours, and it's stil going strong.
I understand how you feel about losing the trees, for me they are what makes home, home. My thoughts are with you. {cry}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thankyou firestorm..... Sorry you have it in your area too.. {cry} ... I don't think it will be long before every area in the UK is having to deal with this ecological disaster....not if the rate of distruction I am seeing is anything to go by.....every day I see more dead trees and shrubs. I think the fact it has taken hold in the Larch is the worst case scenario, as it's providing the disease with the perfect breeding ground.....and we have the perfect climate at the moment too

I really hope that everyone who reads this thread familiarises themselves with this and reports any suspect plants or trees to the authorities.