Living off the 'grid'

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Living off the 'grid'

Post by Meanqueen »

Just found this article whilst looking for something else. Why bother to buy a newspaper when you can read it for free on here?

Very interesting story, lots of food for thought. Inspiring? Is this the way everyone will have to go when we have robbed the earth of all it's resources?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 01140.html

Ilona

^b:
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Very interesting article!
Small steps lead to big changes
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Very interesting story, he is obviously happy with his lifestyle choice. Solar panels, wind turbines, composting toilets etc I am fine with, earth friendly. Running electrical items from your cars cigarette lighter socket, not happy with that; even the most efficient cars simply can not convert fossil fuel into energy as well as the power stations can (although wastage through line transfer could be taken into account). Keeping piles of torches with batteries is and eco disaster. Not only are there the toxic chemicals within the battery but also the energy required to manufacture them. Rechargeable batteries are a bit better but you have to put more energy into the charger than you can possibly expect to retrieve from the cell. I liked the water recycling bit as well, I think that anyone with a possible collection point should have one if they want to water their garden.

Anyway thank you for flagging that one up Mq, very interesting.
)t'
Bah Humbug