EARTH HOUR MAR 29TH - 8PM

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Think you're right Mo.

In the nature of things, if every single person in the whole World did it, we'd probably be saving the Planet by about 10 seconds.
Not being predantic, just factual I think.

If we can come up with something, I'd like it to be a weekend, but more how much can we save ourselves frugally.
This would I'm sure have a kick on effect to the Eco issue. So the results would be both personal and Global.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit whilst watching the rain come down!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

Mo - I wondered about that. It was a bit of a token gesture. I suppose it will make some people think but I doubt many eco-ignorant folks knew about it.

Maybe a more public event over a longer time period would be better - if you encourage people to switch off unneccessary electrics for a month then maybe you help them to develop better habits but I can't see that an hour does much.

What could people do for a month that would help the environment, save them money and not be too tedious to keep up?

(1) walk if it's less than a mile
(2) take your own bags to the shops
(3) ... ?

What could we do that we're not already doing - that might be more of a challenge? (I don't mean that there isn't more I could do - just that I'm doing the easy stuff already!)
There's no cure for stupidity.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Just to make people aware is a start. Waking up to the fact that we cant keep using using using. It's not that long ago that we had electricity and generations before seemed to manage quite well enough. (f+
Looove chucks!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

seahorse wrote:Just to make people aware is a start. Waking up to the fact that we cant keep using using using. (f+

Using, using, using, creates tax revenue, tax revenue, tax revenue. Would you honestly think that the first would governments care about saving the planet as much as they claim? Green taxes, what are they actually about? I would suggest that it all raising revenue for the government coffers.
If we really wanted to do something really significant we’d ban the import of all Chinese goods until they cleaned up their act. We can’t do that because too many very lucrative pies would be removed thus preventing Whitehall fingers from being plunged in. how much is the arms trade with china worth to great Britain (even though it doesn’t officially exist)? Why are we currently at war with Iraq? Is it out of a feeling of international justice or is it because Mr Blair’s very rich oil baron chums in the states wanted to look after their future interests? Just a thought.
sile}
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Not pretending to be clever, but I wrote a Blog page yesterday about my 'green walk to the shop' and touch on the 'not my problem' issues.

It is we are caretakers and not owners of this Planet.

Governments of the day could be taking a similar attitude ie "We either won't be in power or all be pushing grass by then, so let's make the feel good factor now"

BLOG ARTICLE HERE
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome