UK Butterfly Count ( with link) July 24-Aug 1

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

UK Butterfly Count ( with link) July 24-Aug 1

Post by LynneP »

You may wish to participate in this, I wish we had one in eastern Canada. I am part of a bat count, though. Not so pretty, but I like them too.

"The public is being asked to help track the UK's butterfly populations as conservationists warn many native species are in serious decline.

The online Big Butterfly Count survey aims to get a better understanding of which species are in need of most help.

Butterflies are sensitive to changes in environment and have seen a collapse in numbers in the past three decades.

More than three-quarters of the 59 species found in the British Isles are in decline, including the meadow brown.

The holly blue and gatekeeper are among the other butterflies once recently regarded as common species which are now believed to be joining the list in need of protection.

The survey is being run by the charity Butterfly Conservation and retailer Marks & Spencer as part of its environment commitment..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10748310
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
perchy

Re: UK Butterfly Count ( with link) July 24-Aug 1

Post by perchy »

I try to grow buddleias etc for the butterflies, and heavily pollen laden flowers, will check it out, did hear something on one of the news programmes about this, we had so many butterfiles on the buddleias one year you could hardly see the flowers, )t'
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Best butterfly "swarm" I ever saw was in a neglected garden on the rotting pears all over the ground. As I approached hundreds flew up in the air - peacocks and red admirals. Fabulous.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wow, that has jogged my memory I have seen something similar on plums at my friends house, fallen ones that would of course be very ripe and juicy, lovely to see indeed )t'