Forest Protection Campaign

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
wendy

Forest Protection Campaign

Post by wendy »

Hi Folks.
I have just recieved the following from my friend Diana. She is the UK representative of ProFauna.

"Dear Friends,
ProFauna is campaigning against the decimation of the protected forest in West Borneo, where not only wildlife are threatened but the minority tribes of Dayak people too. Please pass this around and support our campaign.

http://www.profauna.org/content/en/fore ... tened.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes
Diana"

Thanks
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Re: Forest Protection Campaign

Post by roddelmae »

Very commendable I'm sure, but personally, I'm more worried about the trees being decimated in this country with the fungus.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If the major continents (treewise) don't survive, our miniscule patch don't even come close.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

IMO Steve we're going to be in trouble long before the major continents affect us.... :oops:

I have given my support to wendy's campaign.. )t'

BUT....Rod is right... I have spent weeks researching the Phytophthora Ramorum outbreak...... and we should all be very worried....this disease kills every plant it infects..and it has now found the perfect host in the Larch to breed and spread. Since last September when it was first found to be in Larch in the south west of England it has already infected the whole of the south west of England and Wales..This disease is spreading faster than it can be contained... and as it spreads faster in Winter there is no knowing how many trees will survive the winter.....The forestry commission have to fell all infected trees but do not have the resourses to fell quick enough.....I have been campaigning to get the Army involved and to raise public awareness... I am witnessing first hand the speed that this virus is killing trees, shrubs and plants......it's devastating!!...Britains trees are the lungs of our country...if we don't have any trees to counteract the polution we make then we will grind to a halt under a thick smog....This is happening in Britain now!!!! Nature is killing trees faster than man can fell them..

This fact sheet was produced by DEFRA before the A1 and A2 infected the Larch and produced the unlikely event of a worst case senario..
http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/pub ... tsheet.pdf"
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Hi Jannie, wasn,t it you who posted about it being near you a few months back? I remember reading it.

We do need to try and do ALL we can, but GOOD FOR YOU for going that extra mile )c(
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Yes Lizzie it was me )t' ....4 weeks ago a notice went up a few hundred yards from my house stating that the area is now a biosecurity area....Everyone who visits the woods is supposed to disinfect their shoes,tyres etc...but there are still no facilities to do so... }hairout{

If you suspect you have an infected tree or plant in your garden....please notify defra so it can be disposed of correctly....we have found infected shrubs that have been fly tipped in our lane....... }hairout{
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

That is terrible...we are expected to do our bit towards the poroblem without the facilties to do so...typical.

As for the dimwits leaving stuff on side of the road..well it makes my blood boil, we live very close to a lane and a few weeks ago we saw a rather fetching washing machine and tumble dryer had started to grow...... {mr.angry}

My husband took them and put them in industrial skip at work because some lazy so and so couldn,t be bothered.

We all need to do our bit..just wish some people would realise that.
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!