Deadly Larch Fungus

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Deadly Larch Fungus

Post by jannie »

Hi bettie, This is a link to the defra fact sheet...

http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/pub ... tsheet.pdf"

it shows lots of examples of the disease...
kptnkate
Learner Laner

Post by kptnkate »

new article in Nature:

News and Views
Nature 466, 824-825 (12 August 2010) | doi:10.1038/466824a; Published online 11 August 2010

Abstract: An aggressive and unpredictable fungal pathogen is devastating larch plantations in Britain. Its remarkably broad host range, and the possibility of further geographical spread, give heightened cause for concern.

For more than a decade, a stream of invasive tree pathogens has been arriving in Europe and North America1, 2. Among the more damaging and unpredictable arrivals is Phytophthora ramorum.

1.Clive Brasier and Joan Webber are at Forest Research, Alice Holt Lodge, Farnham, Surrey GU10 4LH, UK.
Email: clive.brasier@forestry.gsi.gov.uk
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks for the link....... )t'
I am already in regular contact with the forestry commission.. as a local councillor they are now keeping me fully informed....I think they've realised that I am not going away... :-D
They are working to clear all the infected trees by Xmas...They are also erecting more permanent warning signs at the entrances to woodlands....and are putting out a whole load of information to educate the public about ways to try and prevent it's spread...I think I have achieved what I set out to do and that is to get knowledge of this devastating pathogen into the public domain ....I don't think we will halt the spread of this fungus unless more measures are put in place...We need to start by closing footpaths through infected areas.....so that's the next step of my campaign...
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Well done Jannie..good for you for sticking to your guns and not just disappearing like I bet they had wished you had.

You go ...we need some one like you to run the country!!!!
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Gosh lizzie... :oops: :oops: {rofwl}

I think if we got all The Laners together we could run this country... )t' ... right now I'd settle for getting Phythophthora Ramorum under control...
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

At least us Laners would care!!
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Jannie, have you had any feedback from the Ramblers Association re closing footpaths? It is my perception that they object to closure for any reason, or am I being unfair?
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Hi Rod ...We have a member on the council...he is on the case to get their support. )t' ..The main objection from the forestry commission is the damage to the tourist industry if they close the forest trails....I think that is a very short sited view....if we don't stop the spread of this disease then we won't have any forests to have trails in... }hairout{..
We also mustn't forget that this disease has the potential to kill any tree, shrub or plant it infects....the reason the larch is in the news is because of the sheer number of trees infected in a short space of time..