Which camp are you in?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Steve the Gas

Re: Which camp are you in?

Post by Steve the Gas »

I reckon Saltydog and Manda sum up the way I feel about this massive issue.
Its what we consume that costs our planet and mother nature so dearly. Lets face it if we were all microbes the world would be dandy thankyou very much.

Scottish accent now .......................... we're all doomed, doomed as of 21st December 2012 so I hear................. from some so called scientists, jeeeeezzz
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Manda, I agree with pretty much everything you say. You are probably better placed to be more eco friendly than most of us but I agree we can all do a bit to help.

There are a lot of people making a lot of money out of global warming by selling eco related products. The little windmill thingies that were sold in DIY stores have now been dismissed as eco-bling

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... -emissions

The great unwashed are now starting to question the true validity of facts and figures given out by scientists regarding global warming.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... blic-trust

(Both Guardian articles BodJohn 8) )

We (the world) should be looking at conserving what we have left of our planet, Amazonian rainforest for one, often described as the worlds lungs and it is being depleted at a rate of knots. 14% of our planet used to be rainforest now only 6% I wonder what the impact on CO2 levels reinstating the rainforests would have (we will never know sadly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKIgleUBDdE

Sad isn't it
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

the rainforests do more than produce O2 and lock up CO2, they also generate weather and rain (doh) which actually affects the globe quite considerably. It is quite scary to think this lunacy of chopping it down is going on at the rate it is, and why isn't anything being done to stop it! The rainforests just do not seem to get the required attention that they should IMO
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

lancashire lass wrote:the rainforests do more than produce O2 and lock up CO2, they also generate weather and rain (doh) which actually affects the globe quite considerably. It is quite scary to think this lunacy of chopping it down is going on at the rate it is, and why isn't anything being done to stop it! The rainforests just do not seem to get the required attention that they should IMO

Exactly right, while we all bicker over global warming and who is to blame yada yada even more of our precious rainforest is being depleted.

This should be a priority not global warming.

BodhisatvaJohn

Post by BodhisatvaJohn »

We (the world) should be looking at conserving what we have left of our planet, Amazonian rainforest for one, often described as the worlds lungs and it is being depleted at a rate of knots. 14% of our planet used to be rainforest now only 6% I wonder what the impact on CO2 levels reinstating the rainforests would have (we will never know sadly)

I don't understand your point Foghorn! Just because some scientists have an over zealous approach to the way they formulate certain articles, does NOT invalidate the overwhelming mass of evidence for AGW. Scientists are humans, they are prone to the same vanities as anyone (actually, if anyone could take the time to read up on the facts, surrounding the recent e mails that were leaked from UEA, they would see no attempt at 'cooking the books,' whatsoever.)

I read both articles, I agree with the first about Eco-Bling. Maybe you could read this piece Foghorn, it may help to put you straight.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... s-sceptics

Best wishes

John
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

I am not an educated man :? but even I know the earth should be treated with the highest respect , it looks after us , we look after it ! )t'
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

[quote="BodhisatvaJohnI don't understand your point Foghorn! Just because some scientists have an over zealous approach to the way they formulate certain articles, does NOT invalidate the overwhelming mass of evidence for AGW. Scientists are humans, they are prone to the same vanities as anyone (actually, if anyone could take the time to read up on the facts, surrounding the recent e mails that were leaked from UEA, they would see no attempt at 'cooking the books,' whatsoever.)

Best wishes

John[/quote]

Well the investigation will find, by simply reading the emails, no possibility of any shenanigans has occurred. Shouldn't take long to sort that out.

Over zealous...........hmmm......is that in the same way MP's were over zealous in claiming expenses.

Bojo we will have to agree to disagree my friend.

I think ultimately we both want a better world but just see it from different perspectives.

Go in peace 8)

long suffrin Jez
Learner Laner

Post by long suffrin Jez »

this as all planets has a finite cycle. i do not want to make things come to an in-promptu end ( recycle - save the planet best we can etc ) but there is a lot this world has taken before us and alot it will probably out survive us through, before its demise, a long time before the end we will have either wiped ourselves out or moved on, prior to the inevitable end engulfed by the sun.
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

You know I am very much in the camp where we need to control our excessive consumption of both energy and resources, also we need to stop the wholesale destruction of this planet we all live on.

I guess this fits in well with addressing the problem of global warming though I am not completely convinced that we are the single cause of global warming.

What sticks in my throat is that the control of excessive consumption by our elected governments is always carried out on a financial footing, i.e the price goes up, so the folks on the bottom of the pyramid always get the worst deal and those towards the top carry on with their excesses as before.

So how about, fat chance mark you, we control consumption by rationing so that every one takes a fair part and the poor so and so at the bottom of the pile who so far has done all the cutting back doesn't continue to get clobbered as per usual.

But as I said, fat chance of that
How did I ever find the time to go to work
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

I'll be a spoiler, I'm in the climate shift camp...
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

There seems to be quite a few camp people on this forum !!!!!!!!!

)j;
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Very good A&A. It does no harm to inject a bit of humour into a discussion, but my original posting was serious.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Pass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.