Does anyone not use an Electric Kettle

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Does anyone not use an Electric Kettle

Post by Richard »

I'm wondering if heating a lightweight kettle on the Gas or Electric Oven works out less in both finance and energy.
I'd guess that Gas, because it's more instant heat would? (I don't have Gas, no pipes down the Lane or I would).

On the Electric Kettle, it's exactly the same if you have a Fast Boil or not, it's simply the faster boil does it quicker but uses the same amount of energy.

I heat Water on the Solid Fuel Rayburn during the colder month's but rarely actually boil water on it, just use it for washing up mainly.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Re: Does anyone not use an Electric Kettle

Post by p.penn »

I used to use one on my rayburn but it took so long to boil it wasn't worth it as all the heat was lost from the hotplate.

I now use an electric one which is quicker for me, but I would imagine it would be quicker than on gas/eclectric stove too.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We use an electric kettle but only boil as much water as we need. We do have a copper kettle that we can use on the gas ant it heats up really quickly.
Helen when I was little we had an aga and the kettle used to be filled and placed on top of the hood over the ring and slowly heated up, then it only took a couple of minutes to boil. It was on the hood all the time.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

On an Aga it's different - will heat up really quickly. My rayburn doesn't have a constantly red hot hotplate. I have to turn it up and wait before that happens.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

Same here Helen, I use the Rayburn for heating water, not boiling it and for simmering soups etc.
In this way, I do feel it is more eco-friendly.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

When I'm on my own I make my tea in a thermos mug as it holds at least 2 cups... so saves boiling the kettle twice ..when hubs is home I use the electric kettle when I don't need any heating...but once I light the log burner I have a black whistling kettle that sits on top ...so I get free heating and free boiling water.. )t' ...and the stew pan sits nicely on the other side.. :-D

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I feel warmer already )t'
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I have got two camping kettles, a family sized and one for back packing. I last used the larger kettle at home about a year ago during a power cut. There is something very satisfying about boiling a kettle on the hob.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

Very inviting picture Jannie!

I agree with you SS. On the occasions where the Kettle's packed in and I've waited a day before replacing, I use a Camping Kettle. Being very lightweight, they boil in no time.

Richard )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We've found a big kettle for the gas stove. The element on the electric kettle keeps going (and can't be replaced so that's another new kettle), so now we don't reboil it but use the hob if we want a cupful, or more than the electric kettle holds. OTOH an electric kettle only heats the water, a gas stove heats the kitchen, so it depends on the day.
most of the time we need more hot water for a top-up after we've filled our pint mugs.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've just made a cup of coffee, put a cup of water in the microwave for 2.5 minutes, then added the coffee, sugar, and coffee mate. It tastes ok, I wonder if this uses less electricity than the kettle?
Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ooo, good question. I'd guess about the same?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Less
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I always understood that it was less wasteful to heat water in an electic kettle than to boil it in a kettle on the stove. Something about the element being in direct contact with the water so the heat gets dirctly to source. After saying that, I boil our water on the Aga, the Aga is definitely not frugal though (it is one of my extravagancies).
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Meanqueen wrote:I've just made a cup of coffee, put a cup of water in the microwave for 2.5 minutes, then added the coffee, sugar, and coffee mate. It tastes ok, I wonder if this uses less electricity than the kettle?
Ilona

My parents do that, it is apparently important not to put the coffee in before you microwave the water coz it can froth over. It doesn’t work very well for tea as it is hard to get water to the right temperature for a decent brew. I drink most of my cups of tea at work which definitely uses much less of my electricity than microwaving BTW. )j;
Bah Humbug