Bollybarbs carbon challenge diary

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Bollybarbs carbon challenge diary

Post by Bollybarb »

Hi! Day one!
Walked to school, (first time this week) yippee but darling son had forgotten his swim kit, so I ended up walking to school x 2!! But I resisted the temptation of jumping in the car for the second journey which I would have done, without this challenge!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Bollybarbs carbon challenge diary

Post by Richard »

Good for you bollies, exactly in the spirit of the Challenge.

)t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

This afternoon was a challange, it was raining stair rods here and i knew the children would be exhausted, so i drove to school to pick them up. I then thought that as i was out in the car i'd better do a propre run and was going to pop to the shop that does the eat in for £10, for that offer. However, i resisted temptation and just made from ingrediants already bought green lentils, sweetcorn and broccli with balsamic galzed slamon, it was truly lush!! even the OH said it was good!! so minimal petrol used, so slightly challaged but it could have been worse!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Yesterday, used the car to go to work. There are buses but they don't start early engouth or run later engough. The journey is approc 12 miles and whilst that is cyclable (poss soon, not that fit at the mo) i really can't see myself being able to do it before and after a 13 hr shift in intencive care, last night i was hobbling out as my back was jiggered!! so the car is the only option.

Today no plans to use it and i'm doing the washing jig, ie moving it around trying to get it dry ratherr than using the tumble dryer, which would have been my default option. (it's raining so hard that a stream is flowing down our hill :? )
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Darling son needed to be at school early as he was off on a school trip, so he and I walked, darling daughter was not ready so I said her dad could bring her up to school, later, she had a complete melt down tears and rolling around the floor as she couldn't walk with me. I dropped the DS off and walked back home to be met by DD and dad and then I walked back to school, (this 2 journeys to school of a morning seems to be a habit) and dropped her off. Washing was done today as it was sunny and dried outside (some carbon saved) and I looked into changing my halogen light bulbs to LED ones, I’ve 14 spots in my kitchen alone, so something to think about. From my initial reading the savings would be considerable but what a waste to throw working bulbs away, this has always been a concern of mine. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Bollybarb wrote:Darling son needed to be at school early as he was off on a school trip, so he and I walked, darling daughter was not ready so I said her dad could bring her up to school, later, she had a complete melt down tears and rolling around the floor as she couldn't walk with me. I dropped the DS off and walked back home to be met by DD and dad and then I walked back to school, (this 2 journeys to school of a morning seems to be a habit) and dropped her off. Washing was done today as it was sunny and dried outside (some carbon saved) and I looked into changing my halogen light bulbs to LED ones, I’ve 14 spots in my kitchen alone, so something to think about. From my initial reading the savings would be considerable but what a waste to throw working bulbs away, this has always been a concern of mine. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

I have been looking at LEDs to replace halogen bulbs in my kitchen (only 10 lamps need changing) I might do one fitting at a time to see how I get on.
Bah Humbug
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Thanks SS!! Let us know how you get on! Today I had to go on a work course, 20 miles away which started at 8am so drove (but the kids walked to school) but as I was passing that large store that has the advert with kittens, I called in!! I ended up buying a new mattress for DS (almost 9) he's had the same thin one since he went into a bed and this mattress should last until he leaves home )t' so not a low carbon day....
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Good weekend car use wise, only used once to go swimming, I would have cycled but had my mum with me who is limited physically the only exercise she's able to do is swimming. Using the car tomorrow for work, no other choice but did use supermarket delivery service last week, I think that is a carbon saving.
Richard

Post by Richard »

It is indeed Bollies.

Just as a matter of interest, have you pannier bags etc. on your bike?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

No, just a back pack and a moutain bike, my friend has just bought a beautiful road bike with panniers and i keep giving it lustful looks. But i have got a shopping trolley which i use locally.......... my OH thinks it's hilarious but he has used it to fetch take away!!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have Pannier Bags but haven't used them yet, but doing a bigger shop tomorrow so trying them out.

I wondered how you found cycling with them.

Good for you though, doing a grand job. Just give hubby the shopping list and say you're going to the Cinema !

Richard )t'
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I would imagine that pannier bags are easier than a backpack for larger shopping trips as they are lower down giving better balance; I am a bit rubbish when it comes to loading up the back pack as I forget how much higher my centre of gravity is, it does change the whole dynamic of the bicycle when I am doing tour de France style cornering and I have nearly come a cropper several times.
Bah Humbug
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I'm struggling with cycling at the mo. I used to be fearless up to 15 years ago, when i got a car! Cycling with backpack and carriers on handles but all I can manage is my swim gear on my back, I have really lost confidence and think I need cycling proffancy for grown ups!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Bollies,

You can get some really inexpensive Pannier Bag sets for around £20, less on ebay. They wouldn't do really heavy wear, but I'm sure OK for medium shopping.
That is assuming you have a Pannier Rack, which would obviously put more onto the cost.
It would as SS says, be a lot better and safer. It's surprising how you don't notice extra weight if it's in the right place.

But with carrier bags on handlebars BE CAREFUL, once you start to wobble, it's hard to stop, you've worried me.

Richard )t'

Amazon have some starting at £13.50 - I'd go for the Avenir though at £16.50
Pannier Bags from AmazonImage