Post by Meanqueen »

Link for Morsbags

Morsbags how to make them

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Trying to get the message across

Post by Mo »

I admire your skill Ilona. And the things you make are a worthwhile way of combining new and old.
I reckon that your hobbies (making things, and giving talks about it) and mine (dancing, and teaching dancing) are better than many peoples hobby of 'going shopping'.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

Thanks for the link Ilona ...I will give this a go )t'

I did think it was quite ironic that when you go to their site one of the first things you see is BUY THE MORSBAG T-SHIRT ...guess wherever you go there's room for sales :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

did someone make a T shirt out of the morsbag?
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Meanqueen wrote:This is my effort at trying to get people interested in a more self sufficient lifestyle, while also getting them to think about different ways of recycling and re using their rubbish. I had a stand on Sunday at the local dog rescue open day, and took along all my home made items, plus raw materials so I could explain how to make things.

Some people told me they do think of other uses for rubbish, but I felt that most people did not understand. They asked me how much things were because they wanted to buy them. I tried to explain that it's too easy to go to a shop and buy something that has been shipped from the other side of the world, and what would they do if all the shops closed? They would have to make things then. I can't see that there will ever be a end to consumerism, untill there is no oil, metal, and natural resources left. Very sad.
Ilona

It is a daunting thought, and it will run out at some point. The answer in part is to recycle as much as we can and purchase our goods as far as we can in recyclable packaging such as tins and glass jars. Whilst I commend your use of empty cat food packets to make bags, a process in which you are most clearly talented, the pouches are ultimately made from plastic and this will probably be the last time that they will be reused before they end up in land fill, would it not be greener to buy your cat food in infinitely recyclable containers such as tins?
Just a though and keep up the good work with shirts etc.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's irony really. All sorts of equations come into it.....

8% of the Worlds Oil consumption is manufacturing plastic containers and bags.

We feed our cats and dogs with ex-battery hens (this came up on forum before. If anyone wants to discuss this, best start another thread as this one will go off-topic very rapidly)

What happens with the things we've recycled from plastic when they break or aren't wanted anymore? We throw them away. In that sense, it's extending the time before they end up on a landfill.

I wholeheartedly agree that these bags are inspirational and I also believe strongly there's a market for them, even if it's in more the 'novelty' sense, but we can always work backwards and find a fault line somewhere.

I commend Ilona for showing that many things seen as 'rubbish' can be used for something practical.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

SS I would like to buy my cat food in tins, but by the time I have got halfway down the tin they do not eat the rest, so I end up throwing it away. I also think that the food in the tins is not the same as they put in pouches. Cats are such fussy eaters.
Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Surely two cats can polish off a tin of food in a couple of days? If they can’t a frugal tip would be to freeze it until you are looking after the dogs again and feed it to them. )t'

I had two pedigree Burmese moggies many years ago and they weren’t fussy in the slightest and certainly didn’t demand luxury pouches for their dinner. They got cheap cans of food supplemented with cheap tuna in oil and cheap dried stuff;I used to rinse the meat tins out with a little hot water to get the jelly out and once cooled add it to cheap dried food, they used to love it.
Bah Humbug
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Ultimately though, it makes for a more satisfying life to provide for ourselves through making, growing, repairing etc, rather than buying. It's that message which will benefit the environment in the end rather than anything else.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

What a splendid idea, and I wish that sewing was still a skill taught in public schools here...I remember attempting to enter the carpentry class in jr. High ( girls forbidden). I didn't succeed but 2 years later we had raised such a stink in the community that girls were permitted and boys in sewing...

Such things are basic to eco-awareness and worth fighting to keep.

I now have enough barn board for my bat houses!
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
Hellebore
Lively Laner

Post by Hellebore »

As a child if the kettle or iron broke it was taken to the local repair man and returned a couple of days later good as new. In the meantime we used a pan to boil water and my Gran resorted to using the flat iron! Nowhere repairs things anymore. This disposable society thing drives me mad.
With regard to making things I don't think kids are taught how to do such simple things anymore. My daughter did A Level Textiles and made the most amazing things, she made the most fabulous top using glue from a glue gun and sequins, but ask her to shorten a pair of trousers or a skirt - not clue!! Same goes for cooking. First term of Technology Food as it is now called was making a sandwich. The whole class was surveyed as to their preferences the result being put into a graph. Then the ingredients were then sourced, costed up and put on a spreadsheet. Finally after what seemed like an eternity we finally got the sandwich!! It was a very nice sandwich but in the length of time it took she could have learned to make four basic nutritious meals {mr.angry}
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

double problem for the repair man these days, first the stuff ain't designed to be repaired and second, if it is the spares cost as much as a replacement, sure their are exceptions, but consumer white goods are deeply rooted in throw away culture, What mileage is there in repairing a kettle when crapsos sell a new one for not much more than a fiver.

Oh but what a waste! which is why I run a 73 camper, it paid its carbon debt years ago.
How did I ever find the time to go to work