saint-spoon's Carbon challenge diary

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

Re: saint-spoon's Carbon challenge diary

Post by saint-spoon »

on the plus side to my failed plan of the other day, i have got enough pumpkin soup to last for several meals and as it only cost a quid (I have still one left to use) that is uber frugal food for my carbon diary.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Rode to work, rode to the gym and then rode home again afterwards. Had to use the car to go and pick up my low carbon light bulbs which came in huge amounts of extra packaging (much to my annoyance). I did manage to incorporate other errands into the trip for the lights but it’s still annoying to have to make two trips for them. On the plus side I stopped off at my parents for a cup-o-tea and a chat. Done more miles in the car than I have saved for the second time since I have started the carbon diary(boo) but haven’t given up.
Bah Humbug
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

you sound like you are saving carbon all over the place!! and with all this exercise, you better be careful on that bike, one stiff breeze and you'll blow away!! )w(
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

SS - the phrase 'You have to speculate to accumulate' comes to mind and 'can't make an omlette without breaking eggs'.

So today you used more carbon BUT you have low carbon lights.....they will go on, and on. You took the opportunity to see your folks. Again, much better than making a special trip. Etc,etc, etc.

I think you have done really well. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Sara

Post by Sara »

I agree with Helen, I think you are doing great. )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

AW shucks guys, you’re all too kind. The thing is that I used to often ride or walk to work so there’s nothing new in that; our car only does about 5,000 miles a year so we aren’t really that tied to it, but I am trying to reduce the amount I use the car even further by popping to the shops on my bike after work rather than hopping in the car when I get home. As you say Helen you have to speculate, during the warmer months we had a new condenser boiler fitted to replace our old balanced flu type (which although perfectly functional used way too much gas), that should pay for itself over the next year or two after which it’s all savings. As for the light bulbs Bolly, they are very bright (ideal for a kitchen) but have a slightly blue hue if that makes sense. They weren’t cheap at over £5 per lamp but should live for 10 times as long as conventional spotlights and save lots of energy during their life. I have only done one fitting at the mo, I think that I shall buy some yellow LED lights and do the other fitting next time I am passing the tool outlet place and have a play around (we have a kitchen diner arrangement so I would like a warmer light but if I can’t I shall be happy).
I have relented this morning and donned my fleecy tracksuit bottoms for my cycle into work, no point giving up because it is a bit difficult IMO.
Bah Humbug
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Sounds good SS we to have kitchen dinner arrangment so blue tone lights in the kitchen end would be ok, a warm yellow better in the dinning end. Could you PM the details (where to buy) Thanks x
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mistake with the tracky bottoms, it was too hot. Rode to work and came to the conclusion that this morning there where three worst enemies to the cycler in the morning....
The first being schoolchildren cycling to school on their BMX bikes and thinking that every pavement is a jump and that there are no other users of the road/cycle paths.
Second is the dare devil school children who think that 15(ish) stone of me won’t hurt if I smash into them if they jump out in front on the cycle path.
Third and by far the worst are kids on motor scooters.
Only my experience from this morning, and in no way does this express the views f the DTL management (and it was only this morning’s boo list of people I had to brake hard to miss)
Cycled to the gym and back home afterwards. Had to walk to the local shop for milk as my backpack was wedged and overflowing with stuff.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Cycled to the fruit and veg shop for coriander (leaves) to put in my Thai curry, I already had all the other ingredients. Liking the new LED lamps in the kitchen.
Have had an e-mail from my gas provider asking for my reader meeting, I expect that they will send a chap around to read the meter anyway as I know the new boiler will have saved us loads.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Didn’t go out yesterday so didn’t save any car miles but on the other hand I didn’t actually use any.
Today I hopped on my trusty cycle (photo to follow when I get around to it) and rode down to the ferry. The ferry saves about 15 miles each way to get to Portsmouth but costs a fortune for a day return so £3.40 lighter and four miles already covered I set sail for the two and half minute journey across the harbour entrance. Cycled to the university library to do some stuff, picked up a couple of books to add some extra weight and cycled up to town to do a spot of shopping. Picked up a few bits from the Chinese grocer and some bits from the discount sports shop and cycled home via the ferry. It is important to note that there is a general rule about cycling in and around the harbour area and that is that the wind will always be against you regardless of the direction you are cycling, not sure why it just always is.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Do you also always seem to be cycling uphill SS? :-D

Sounds far to energetic for me, but well done you. Can you imagine what you saved in petrol and carbon emissions?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

well it certainly saved a lot of driving, not sure how much fuel the ferry uses but there were quite a few of us on it so it can get shared out amongst us.
Today's epic endeavour involves a 410 mile hike northwards via the rail network, if it all goes terribly wrong Richard I shall personally hold you accountable for your time in charge.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Ok Car free 410 (ish) miles....
Oh well made it in one piece, the first two trains were fashionable late meaning that I didn’t need to go to the gym today with all the sprinting I have done with all my luggage. Had two great travelling companions, first was a chap from Carlisle with whom I chatted about ornithology from Basingstoke until Birmingham New street and the second joined in Sheffield and gave me a full and frank tour of the geographical points from there until he alighted in Edinburg central. Very interesting. Uni research done =zilch....... friendly chatting done=lots.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

in the absence of my bike I walked thge mile or so to work this morning. To be honest i am not looking forward to the 250 odd steps back up after work.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

To be honest I didn’t relish the idea of walking all the steps back from work yesterday and to top it all off I have developed a spot of manful which made it worse. It was blowing a gale and all I had was my sports kit with hoody for protection, not a good situation. This afternoon I will be travelling back down south once more but this will unfortunately be by car (although I am sharing with four others which is about as carbon friendly as you can get in a car).
Bah Humbug