2nof my 3 girls are "gaping"/"Gagging"

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
knittynuttynora
Lively Laner

2nof my 3 girls are "gaping"/"Gagging"

Post by knittynuttynora »

Hi there, just noticed thismorning that two of my girls are doing a sort of gagging thing, stretching their necks out and opening their beaks. From reading on here, looks as if it might be gapeworm? I dont have any flubenvet, and am only going to be able to go to pets at home today as it is sunday - is there anything else I could use and is it ok to leave them until tomorrow? Am worried!
Mum to three female children, three female cats, three female chookies, one female guinea pig who turned out to be a he (RIP) and one poor lonely husband...time for a big macho dog?!

perchy

Re: 2nof my 3 girls are "gaping"/"Gagging"

Post by perchy »

Does sound like gapeworm if they are both doing it, see what they have at Pets at Home, they may have something to help, if not it will have to be tomorrow, try not to panic you may not have noticed it til tomorrow if you get what I mean, have they access to straw, sure nothing in their mouths?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Catch one and av a look down throat if you can, gently prise the beak open.

I got my Flub from the local chemist - they ordered it in for the next day, prolly payed a bit more - but convenient for me..........
knittynuttynora
Lively Laner

Thanks Perchy, must admit the blood drained from my when I saw them doing it! They have straw in their coop bedding, but they have been out all morning pecking around the run, which is now mostly bare earth, leaves and twigs, although I doubt they would both have got something stuck at the same time? They have had a pumpkin in the run and there are seeds in it, but again I doubt they would both have got a pumpkin seed stuck. I dont think either of them is doing it now! Does it come and go? Also, we just had a chinook helicopter hovering above us and OH thinks that might have scared them so they lost their voices for a bit?!!
Mum to three female children, three female cats, three female chookies, one female guinea pig who turned out to be a he (RIP) and one poor lonely husband...time for a big macho dog?!
knittynuttynora
Lively Laner

Thanks Steve, will try and have a look. Will it look like a worm?! Or is it a red thing? :oops:
perchy

Post by perchy »

I think it does come and go, I think they gape when the worm is moving yike* keep an eye on them, when did you last worm them? As for the helicopter, those are quite low I guess and sometimes when hens get hot or stressed they will open their mouths like they are gaping, however it is not 90 degrees in the shade, could have been unsettled? Can you pick them up and have a look yike* I think it is fairly visible if there is anything )t'
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I believe they are beige/yellowy thin and visibly move. yike*
perchy

Post by perchy »

Steve the Gas wrote:I believe they are beige/yellowy thin and visibly move. yike*

Thats what mine had you described it so well yike*
knittynuttynora
Lively Laner

Will go and have a look and keep an eye on them today - just seems strange they both started doing it at the same time! Im a concerned mum :? {hug}
perchy

Post by perchy »

knittynuttynora wrote:Will go and have a look and keep an eye on them today - just seems strange they both started doing it at the same time! Im a concerned mum :? {hug}

I know they worry us terrible, have your lunch before you check, not spaghetti bolognaise I hope {rofwl}
knittynuttynora
Lively Laner

perchy wrote:
knittynuttynora wrote:Will go and have a look and keep an eye on them today - just seems strange they both started doing it at the same time! Im a concerned mum :? {hug}

I know they worry us terrible, have your lunch before you check, not spaghetti bolognaise I hope {rofwl}

Noodles? {rofwl}
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

As well as gapeworm, hens 'mouth breath' when suffering from stress or heart problems, but think as it's two who are doing it, more likely to be gapeworm or they are suffering from a stressful experience.

Er, I know in chickens case it should be beak breath! :oops:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
perchy

Post by perchy »

How are your girls today?