Barn owl with a headache

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Barn owl with a headache

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sitting here on computer, as you do and heard this thud that came from the kitchen.
Looked out the window and it was a barn owl that had obviously flown into the window and was sitting on my Grandaughters little table in the courtyard.
He/she quickly recovered and flew off. It was beautiful to see it so close though. Lovely, lovely birds.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Beautiful birds, bless it.
I followed a car in the winter & it hit one & just drove off )de: so muggins here turned round to pick it up to make sure it wasn't still alive, it was still flapping a bit, so i drove back with it on my knee, it did die, so I've got it in the freezer at work to make into a skeleton for the students during the summer months, they have interesting anatomy apparently on their head, so it'll be important for them to learn that, id rather see it flying about though, I used to see it a lot when i drove to work in the dark :cry: :cry:
Cheers
mel x
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

driving back form dover I saw one perched right next to a roundabout we were using so had a lovely close up. Wasn't fased at all by us peering out fo the window.
At least your poor little owl will be of some use Mels. Bet the driver thinks of himself as an animal lover too... )de:
Chucky Egg
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Never ever ever hit something & drive off is our motto, i found a rabbit once with it's back end squashed into the tarmac, trying to pull itself along, that has stayed with me for years, I had to get the game keeper to put it out of it's misery, it does my head in it really does.
On a jollier note.....
If anyone lives near me-ish, there is one fantastic place for bird viewing, it's at the Shuttleworth collection at Old warden near Biggleswade on the A1, they do an amazing bird display, Vultures literally clipping your head as they fly about, owls to keep this "on topic" & stacks of other beautiful birds, we were really impressed.
It's a fabo day out for the summer, I even took a child, two in fact, my nephew & his pal, they're still in rehab )j; & i'm weaning myself off the tablets..............slowly )c(
Cheers
mel x