Can you do this? (clogging)

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mo
Legendary Laner

Can you do this? (clogging)

Post by Mo »

BBC report on a Lancashire clog dancer who died earlier in the year.

We tried to learn these steps, and bought clogs, but my dancing brain thinks big; I couldn't get the details from me head to my feet. (Whole body movements and patterns in a 'set' of dancers come easier). OH worked at it longer, went to a Pat Tracy workshop a couple of years ago, althought it was being taught mainly by one of her pupils, as Pat was nearly 80 and not remembering details as well as she had.

We also went to a workshop with Sam Sherry, who had worked as a Music Hall artist with his brothers and then taught clogging to the 'folkies' when it became popular. He devised a series of routines for beginners upwards, but would also dazzle us with a display of his steps (and sang 'The Body in the Bag')
wendy

Post by wendy »

In a word No.
I have great trouble co ordinating brain and feet.
Can you do it properly now Mo ?
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

No. OH gave my clogs to our daughter to take to folk festivals with her, as I never used them. I have difficulty with brain and fingers too, but persist in playing my whistle in pubs (might help if I practised instead of getting stuck Down the Lane!)
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Oooo Mo!! I can barely play the whistle, it drives my dog, cats and hubby insane when I practise, (particularly Sally Gardens!) so I've really given up! Keep going though, you'll be fab!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I went to tap dancing classes when I was quite young, could not get the hang of it, my feet were all over the place. I had some second hand tap shoes. Shame, I wanted to be in the show, but never made the grade. The group was called, Mavis and the Silver Stars.
Ilona
:cry:
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

Typical dutch, sorry as i see these sort every day:)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting Mo. I must say (typical Southerner) that I've never heard of it.

We get loads of Morris Men down here and I'm pleased to say it's as popular as ever and there's many young people joining in.

But with this as well, it's all about co-ordination. I learnt Ballroom Dancing in my early 30's and that seems a tad simpler?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I can play the penny whistle , but the only request I get is to play...over the hills an FAR away!!!! sile} The Manx have their own style of folk dance and it is lovely to watch. Wish I could do it! Spose I must keep at the belly dancing...hey ho!
Looove chucks!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've had a go at some of the Manx dances at folk festivals, trouble was they taught us the difficult ones.
Like the complicated one called Peter O'Tavy that was supposed to be danced slowly without falling off a small table, by a bridegroom, to see if he was sober enough for what came after the party. :oops:
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

:shock: sounds like fun!
Looove chucks!