Compost Toilets

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Compost Toilets

Post by Richard »

Anyone ever used one or had one?

I was watching Castaway yesterday (the original) and it would seem they were probably not heard of or popular so much as now.

Green living has moved on I guess.

Richard )t'

(Sorry, moved it here as it relates more to eco than fugal)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
silverbass
Lively Laner

Re: Compost Toilets

Post by silverbass »

They have one at an eco woodland project near here.
I did use it, wasn't really needing much but couldn't resist going for novelty value.
Could smell pine from the sawdust but no unpleasant odours.
+elf+
Have to add I just went for a pee )grin2(
Last edited by silverbass on 14 Dec 2010, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

I once read about an electric one that used no water. After use you used a form of compost and switched on a motor that churned up the stool and deposited it in a container on the outside of the building.
perchy

Post by perchy »

silverbass wrote:They have one at an eco woodland project near here.
I did use it, wasn't really needing much but couldn't resist going for novelty value.
Could smell pine from the sawdust but no unpleasant odours.
+elf+
Have to add I just went for a pee )grin2(

We believe you =win=
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I think Dick Strawbridge built one at his home, was shown on that series he did - cannot remember what it was called.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
perchy

Post by perchy »

bluebell wrote:I think Dick Strawbridge built one at his home, was shown on that series he did - cannot remember what it was called.

It's not easy being green, I liked the first series but found the second one a bit too technical +confused+
joanne3393
Lively Laner

Post by joanne3393 »

We have a compost toilet, live in a mobile home on a farm and rather than go through planning permission for a septic tank purchased a compost toilet from Canada, it works really well only problem we have is in the winter it can freeze, however we purchased one with a wind turbine as apposed to one with an electric heater, we may decide to convert it at a later date but works fine at the moment
Family includes Tilly & Tiny the sheep, Chester the horse, and Lewis the Hare, Oh and how could I forget to put the 8 velociraptors, now added Soks the lurcher
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

A wind turbine, very appropriate for a toilet.
Do you need to eat a lot of baked beans to make it work? :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ha ha ha! I have a friend whose husband built a something or other for the waste - but I think it was reeds and I think (may be mistaken) it comes back through their taps.

)ot: Joanne - you have a hare? Is it a pet? >coc<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Joanne - that's brilliant. Please post any other eco items you have on a similar theme. Photo's would be great.

Thanks, Richard )t'

(PS. We're all mad here!!)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

You want a pic of the bog? :?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, I have just been to visit and have supper with my grandchildren - they are glamping nearby! Guess what - they had to go outside in the rain to the woods to use the.......compost toilets!!!!

My 3 year old grandaughter told me that the poo and paper goes in the back of the toilet and the wee in the front, as the wee doesn't compost as well. So know I know. {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

They're popular in seaside cottages here, not so much in homes. Saves imensely on well water of course and eliminates the high cost of a septic field. They certainly have a lingering odor not present in water closets, but perfectly presentable in a situation where you are outside much of the time in summer. Many here still use outhouses, but you can't legally create new ones because of building codes. We have on on our property but alas, a family of skunks has taken over the pit and built surrounding tunnels. I throw them apples through the seat opening in the fall.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have to tell you this as I thought it was so funny. Apparantly, my 3 year old granddaughter took the whole 'compost toilet' thing very seriously and wiggled to the back of the loo when she wanted a poo and to the front for a wee! Whilst on the loo she said to my daughter 'Mummy,the poo goes into the toilet to make mud, doesn't it?' so Mummy said yes darling....then my grandaughter said 'And the wee goes into a barrel and it makes butter'. :shock:

Where do they get these ideas from? {rofwl}
Helen xx

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

That gene is from you.............. )grin2(