Food Intolerance

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
rachell24
Lively Laner

Food Intolerance

Post by rachell24 »

Has anyone paid to have a test done for this?

Ive been a bit off recently, its been going on for years but has flared up again and Im sick of it so been searching on the internet like you do. Saw one, wont name it as not sure if Im allowed to or not, I sent off for the basic one as there was an offer on, it was only £10 where it says yes or no to an intolerance then you can upgrade where they test for 113 foods. They have just rang me to say mine is positive and would I like to upgrade.

Its really expensive though so I have just been having another search on the internet trying to find out if anyone has done any reviews on it but cant find anything, just other health professions saying its not proven as it only looks a Igc in your blood not Ige and could end up leavin you with an inadequate diet. Also read a news article where the journalist had a RAST test done (think thats what it was and Ive no idea what that is) so she knew she wasnt allergic to anything and then went and had 5 different food intolerance tests done and they all said she was intolerant to foods, but each company said different things. I also read an article where the journalist sent blood in under two different names to the company I sent mine to and it came back with different results!

So all in all Im going off the idea and resigning myself to feeling rotten.

I think Ill go and ask my GP about it but just wondered if anyone had used a test like this and if it worked for them. confused> confused>
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I can see why you might be suspicious. It would be very easy to suck people in with a cheap offer then make money out of them.

Some people (and possibly GPS) are very dismissive about food intolerance but when I was a playgroup supervisor one boy had had hospital tests done (he was hyperactive) and his mother knew the good effects of sticking to the right diet.

Good luck with your GP.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

It's a minefield out there isn't it.

Personally, as an IBS sufferer, I kind of found out which foods agreed with me myself, by keeping to staples I knew were ok, then trying out a food, and seeing what it was like the day/two days after, and then if it was ok, introducing other foods until I knew which ones caused the problems.

Don't know if this will help, but may be worth a try - especially if you have an idea about what it could be - eg wheat, dairy etc??

I've also heard these tests don't give a definitive answer, so steered clear myself..?
Small steps lead to big changes
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Your not kidding Morph! My GP thinks its IBS, but I want to know what food starts it so I can avoid it. Cant do alot about avoiding stress. LOL. Dont know why I'm laughing!

I dont have it all the time, its a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I think its Eggs (I KNOW!!!Gutted) but then I can have them one day and be fine. I find its like that with all the foods I think it is. The stuff Ive been reading up on it says the intolerance can come out in seconds or a few days which is a bit like me so I've been finding it impossible to pinpoint a particular food. It would take for ever, I dont think Ive got the determination to stick to a food elimination diet. Although, not had eggs though since last week. :cry: though they are probably in loads of things Ive been eating without realising. God its confusing. confused>

Rach
wendy

Post by wendy »

I also have IBS.
But mine is purely stress.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

lots of gin gives me a head ache, does that count?

Being serious now, my mother had a really bad back and it turned out to be allergies to tomatoes, potatoes, wheat and pork. had the test done on the NHS (when we still had one). they treated her by weaning her back onto said foods which sorted out the problem...
Bah Humbug
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Same as Rach. I've got IBS, must have had it for years but got a really bad bout and went to the doctors and she sussed it straight away. I went to BUPA and had test done because of my age (was then 60). It came back as I suspected EGGS. As rach, sometimes I'm ok (I've been at cowboy camp for 4 days and had bacon and eggs for breakfast - no problem) then another time and I'll feel like s**t. and have awful stomach pains. My stomach never feels 100%
So good luck rach.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

What sort of test did Bupa do for you Misty?

Was it all of the egg or just the yolk?

Rach
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I had blood tests done and then (you don't want to know this) a barium meal, should we say sucked not drank. Actually it wasn't too bad and you could even look at your tubes if you wanted. Luckily it was all clear.
The doctor said if we took too much notice of the results we wouldn't eat anything as most people have a slight intolerence to lots of things which shows up on these tests so descretion has to be used. I was told I had an intolerence to lots of things but not badly. I also think milk upsets me but when I went through rice, soya etc it still didn't seem to make any difference. I quite often feel bad on waking up and feel there is something I could drink which would help but have tried hot water (yuke) lemon water, black tea, green tea etc but not only don't I like them they didn't seem to work. How about you?
stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

I have a 'people intollerance' myself.

Have you tried the stuff like A ctimel or Y akult?

I used to have strange things going on in my stomache (bet you wanted to know that!) and after 2-3 weeks everything settled down and was fine.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Ive had a barium meal, it was about two years ago and it was revolting I was nearly sick. Was yours a nice experinece with Bupa? Mine wasnt, I dont know if anyone else finds this, but have you noticed the way that nurses and Drs talk about you to each other as if your not there and your right infront of them, or laugh and joke about something someone did to another patient and your lying there about to go in for a major op?

There I was having to "eat" this lumpy disgusting chalky stuff and nearly being sick the Dr said to the nurse. "thats really a good mixture, its coming up great on the screen" and shes giggling and saying " yes, I make it extra thick" I was so upset at the time as I found the whole thing very stressful I couldnt say anything, which isnt like me. :oops: Like to see her drink some.

I paid private as well to get that treatment-better explain-GP thought it might be an ulcer, referred me, I get an appointment through for a YEARS time!!! I felt that ill I paid private to see a consultant, who then put me straight onto his NHS List so I got seen within a month and also got an ultrasound and a camera down my throat which I wouldnt have got just from the referral via the GP. I knew thats what would happen thats why I did it, I have heard of quite a few people having to resort to this. I feel bad that I did it but I felt so Ill I just couldnt wait that long and just put it on my credit card. I think if you work for the NHS you shouldnt be allowed to also work privately, then people wouldnt have to resort to "queue jumping" just to get seen within an acceptable amount of time. No wonder the waiting lists are so flipping long, the Drs all spending half their time at BUPA. GRRRRRRRR

I'm ranting better stop. )de: )de: )de:

IIts interesting how many people suffer though. Its a big conspiracy from the dr-ugs company. I bet they know what the cure is but want us all to keep on paying out. I bet I'll wake up tonight with a horses head on my pillow. LOL
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I had a barium enema.......................... :shock:
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

:shock: UUHH Didnt know they existed. Hope you were sedated!

Rach
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Have you had the camera taking pictures from the inside??? Oh, lets not go there. Diagnosis - Diverticulitis. change diet, cured, whoooppeeee.

Remember that you need to eat food that digests quickly, same old story, mainly fruit and veg, pulses, nuts, bran, cereal, and drink water, not fizzy pop. The more processed food you have , the longer it hangs around, not good, it sticks to your insides, rots, gives pain, gives you spots, makes you lethargic, makes you feel lousy.

Can't comment on allergies and intollerances though.

Ilona
^b:
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

NO!!!!! NOT SEDATED :shock: