Italians ban plastic bags

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Italians ban plastic bags

Post by Richard »

There are some champion 'Eco Warriors' who actually support the plastic bag because it's a lot easier to hide away as they crush to almost nothing.

I don't have enough knowledge on it to argue, but I do know how it's not so much the bag, it's the stupid pillocks (pardon me) who chuck them where they can do harm to nature.

I think in your case Ilona, if you're up against 10p a bag at Tesco's, people would probably see them as more 'there to be seen' etc. etc.

As for Cottage Industries, I think you are throwing away opportunities to pay your mortgage off sooner plus easy money from your Blog........!! It's like some actors say, I'm doing what I love and get paid for it as well.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

For Mo, yes I agree that biodegradable ones are nasty and not the answer but they are better than the ones we have. For Ilona, I am surprised that no one wanted t buy your bags, did you have any of the cat food pouch ones left?
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm not sure about that. I understand that they can muck up recycled plastic products if they get into them - make them degrade too.
We need education not a technical 'fix' that makes people think the problem is solved when it isn't.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I agree Mo. I'm not sure about them. I also agree the answer is to get people to reuse bags, rather than use resources to make 'temporary' bags.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mo wrote:We need education not a technical 'fix' that makes people think the problem is solved when it isn't.

exactly
Bah Humbug
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Hmmm ...plastic bags.....not recyclable......in this day and age......really.

My local M&S store (attached to a fuel station) has the answer. If I go and pick up some stuff on the way home from work and need a bag they charge me 5 or 10 pence to have something to carry my stuff to the van. Would that stop me from disposing of it in an unsuitable way ?
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

saint-spoon wrote: Ilona, I am surprised that no one wanted t buy your bags, did you have any of the cat food pouch ones left?

The cloth bags didn't sell at the school because it was mainly children spending their pocket money. I will save them for a more suitable event, like our village green summer fete. I didn't make the cat food pouch bags to sell, they are for display/exhibition purposes, to show what can be made out of rubbish. I just found it fun to make them.
Ilona
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

let's get down to basics on this, biodegradeable bags are a smokescreen, they don't biodegrade, they just fall to pieces and remain as such indefinitely and are infinitely more difficult to get rid of.
If you want to use a bag use a natural fibre one, does the job, lasts a long time and at the end of it's life rots away quite happily, just try and get a plain one not one smothered with non biodegradeable ink eco messages..

Anybody got a practical solution to dealing with dog crap apart from making the dogs veggie and then composting the crap?
How did I ever find the time to go to work
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sorry, a bit off topic, but this is the bag I have just finished, it's for an exhibition at our 20 21 Arts Centre. We, (me and others) were given two plain canvas bags and asked to customise them.

I decided to use only plastic bags on this one. I have fused several layers together with a hot iron, to make thicker stronger pieces of plastic, then cut out the shapes and hand stitched them on. The tree trunks are wholemeal bread bags, the sky and green grass is from a Farmfoods bag, the rest from different coloured bags. I have put a plastic bag inside for a liner, and strengthened the handles.

We have a tip near here which gave me the idea for the picture. When it is windy all the bags blow around and end up in the hedgerows.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If we do manage to do away with plastic shopping bags there are still some uses for plastic bags. If I buy fish from the supermarket plastic bags keep the dampness and smell contained. I know we used to mange with paper bags when we shopped locally, I'm not sure that many people would go back to that.
Then what could I freeze things in? I reuse most of my bags and tubs as freezer containers. If I bought special freezer packaging that would probably be plastic too.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I am not really a fan of plastic bags but those I do collect on my shopping trips, I re-use for various things. They do make good `poo bags` for clearing up after the dog, although some have ventilation holes in them, which is a bit of a disadvantage.
We shop at Nettos, most weeks and save our bags, which have been serving us well for absolutely ages. I also have a couple of `nylon` shoppers which I got from a well known store. The one which is like an up-market jumble sale and sells `designer` stuff. They fold up really small in my bag and hold a lot of shopping and when they are too grubby they just go in the washing machine.
(they are pink of course) )w(
There isnt really a shortage of decent shopping bags for people to buy, really. I think quite a lot of the British public are just lazy and also obsessed with cleanliness and sterility, hence `plastic`. When I was a teenager in the late 60s and workied on Saturdays in a supermarket, everyone had their own bags, or they bought paper carriers, which in a way were better, but not as strong. But then you have to cut down trees to make paper carriers, and I`m not all that keen on that as an option either. I cant see the British being brave enough to ban carriers any more than choosing to close half of the fast food outlets we have, to encourage people to eat more healthily and to cook at home instead of eating out all the time.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I have the Asda hessian type breast cancer bags.

They are brilliant because 1) they are pink and pretty, 2) they are really strong and 3) they stay upright in my Panda so I don't have to rummage under seats trying to find escaping groceries.

I also have a good sized wheeled trolley for groceries when I don't use the car.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

I still don't understand why carrier bags can't be recycled.

Our whole methodology of dealing with rubbish needs looking at as local councils are driven by reducing costs not disposal of rubbish in a safe and environmental manner.

There is a whole bunch of exclusions relating to rubbish at our local tip this includes (from memory) fence panels and posts, old kitchen units, sinks, basins, toilets and cisterns, bricks, soil, to name but a few.

If you want to dump these you have to pay extra and go to a commercial tip. Ever wondered why people fly tip }hairout{
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

At work today I asked a couple if they would like a normal bag or a bag for life, and the man said that he got a bag for life on his wedding day. yike*

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

You get asked at the bar - is the half for your wife?

Good swap )grin2(