Advice from anyone who knitted Babycakes bonnets

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Advice from anyone who knitted Babycakes bonnets

Post by Annie »

Hi , I bought some baby dk wool today to try to help Babycakes and her friend Lisa with the baby bonnets. I followed the pattern posted and have ended up with a bonnet that resembles an egg cosy cover. Now having followed the links from Babycakes I realise that the bonnets are not for surviving premature babies but for the little ones who don't make it (how sad for the parents) . Does the bonnet I made sound about right and does anyone have a blanket/cardgan etc pattern to go with it ? I haven't picked up my knitting needles for more than 20 years so am a bit rusty :oops:
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Re: Advice from anyone who knitted Babycakes bonnets

Post by perchy »

I think that is how they come out, {cry} I know that Kate Egg does alot of knitting and hopefully she will see this post, if not drop her a pm, or I can for you )t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Annie (or Alex?) the hats are tiny, they are for 'lost babies' so I'm sure yours is spot on. I'm sorry I don't have the other patterns.

I do quite a bit of knitting for Loving Hands charity http://www.lovinghands.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you fancy taking a peak at the forum there are lots of patterns and ideas if you want to do something else (I am KateG on there) Don't take too much notice that the main website page is out of date, Lou who runs it has had some health problems and hasn't got round to updating it but it is a very thriving 'community'
perchy

Post by perchy »

kate egg wrote:Annie (or Alex?) the hats are tiny, they are for 'lost babies' so I'm sure yours is spot on. I'm sorry I don't have the other patterns.

I do quite a bit of knitting for Loving Hands charity http://www.lovinghands.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you fancy taking a peak at the forum there are lots of patterns and ideas if you want to do something else (I am KateG on there) Don't take too much notice that the main website page is out of date, Lou who runs it has had some health problems and hasn't got round to updating it but it is a very thriving 'community'

{hug&kiss} thank you
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep. Mine were like little egg cups as well. So they sound right.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Thank you ladies (its Annie knitting and Alex doing pom poms or so he says) I will carry on with the lttle bonnets ,they certainly don't take long !
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
dingdong
Lively Laner

Post by dingdong »

hi, I made some little bonnets and like you wondered at first if I had got them right, they were so small. Loving hands has some good patterns as mentioned and I also found a pattern on a site called hissystitch.blogspot.com It was the eenie, meenie, minie, moe pattern. I made some of these , they can be made in different sizes which I did figuring that these poor wee souls are lost at different stages.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Thanks again for the other sites to visit I have made a note and will visit these sites. I am just making up a little blanket out of my head, its just a ribbed border with a stocking stitch middle - quick and easy as I said I am still a bit rusty and my fingers are feeling it a bit already - will have to do some loosening up excercises ! The lady with the wool cart in the local town has little applique things to I will fancy the blankets up with one of those or maybe thread ribbon through one end - if I can remember how to make the holes +confused+
wendy

Post by wendy »

Wool round needle, knit two together....

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

wendy wrote:Wool round needle, knit two together....

I was thinking k1 s1 psso but couldnt think what that did +confused+ believe it or not I did knit quite a bit at one time , again thanks Wendy you are doing a good job keeping me right )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

You can do it that way as well, Annie.

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

wendy wrote:You can do it that way as well, Annie.

So do you then knit into back and front of the stitch on way back to make up the number of stitches ?
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I have to say I hadn't realised you ladies were knitting for babies who unfortunately, well.... {cry}

Bless you ladies for thinking of these little ones. xxx {hug}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have only just started knitting these little hats and thought how very small they were. I have knitted 20 so far out of one ball of wool and think I may get another 2 out of the same ball.

Must admit though it has made me feel awfully sad...........not that I will stop knitting, but it makes me very thankful that I havent been in that situation. It is a very sobering thought thinking of where these hats will end up. {cry}

I havent started on the pom poms, anyone any tips as to how big the rings should be? Its years since I did a pom pom.
wendy

Post by wendy »

If you put the wool forward and then knit two together. The wool forward, over the needle, makes the stitch.
Wendy