Free hot water

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
AL37
Admin Moderator

Free hot water

Post by AL37 »

I could have put this in a number of the forum categories but I have put it here because I believe this is a system that is over looked. It could be done throughout the world and is very cheap and simple to set up. I am not the first person to do this but in my opinion not enough people are using it to it full potential.
So what is it? Animal dung, manure call it what you will but in the right conditions it can generate upto 70 degrees celsius. Even a normal household compost heap generates a suprising amount of heat in the right conditions. I am sure a hose coiled in one of those dalek style composters would generate at least a couple of buckets of hot water. Enough to wash the car maybe!
At the small holding there is almost an unlimited supply of manure many of the other small holder have horses and as most of you will know I have pigs as well as the chickens.

The first picture shows the muck heap nearest the pig shed, I dug it out to make way for the water tank (water but).

The second picture shows the but in place. I replaced a decent layer of manure and the started to coil the pipe around the heap. I have used alcathene water pipe but a hose pipe would work so long as it doesn't crush or squash under the weight of the manure. I used around 70 feet of pipe but the more pipe in the heap the better.

I then started to build the layers and the coils until the pipe is distributed throughout the heap.

I will be putting the end of the pipe through the wall into the shed and then putting a tap on it. Once the heap is full to the level of the pallets I will put a lid on the but and cover the whole heap with insulation pannels.
I will let you know in a few days what temperature the water from the tap is.

Oh and for my next project I hope to get free electricity from manure. )t'
Al :-D
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
p.penn

Re: Free hot water

Post by p.penn »

Al - it looks a great idea but it wont catch fire will it?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I do beleive that an area in and around Oxford is supplying all it's electrical needs from power generated from the sewage farm, not sure how they make their hot water though.
Bah Humbug
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

p.penn wrote:Al - it looks a great idea but it wont catch fire will it?

Muck heap fires are possible but there is a plastic barrel in the middle with 45 gallons of water in it so I am not that worried. )grin2(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} Sort of like your own pyromaniac/fire brigade combo system? I like it. )grin2(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

{rofwl}
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Helen, the next project involves methane gas. :shock:
If you must worry about me I would appreciate it if you wait until I start that one, I may need it. :shock: )grin2(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Al, I always worry about you. )grin2(
Helen xx

AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

{rofwl} {hug&kiss}
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Al,
You'd have to eat an awful lot of beans to produce enough methane to convert to leccy.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Its okay I won't be piping it direct. :shock:
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Looking good.
Two similar applications that I have heard of -
1. Hot beds- very old method for heating early season plants. Basically a manure heap with a cold frame on top giving a heated greenhouse.
2. Wood chipping compost heaters. Same principle as you have built but under a big pile of wood chippingswhich give off heat as they compost.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
manda

Post by manda »

Mmmm I'm going to watch this one with interest Al...going to have a lot of manure soon!! :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I know about 20 years ago there was an equestrian college or something that started a similar project, as well as having a water tank they had yards and yards of metal pipework which was under the muck heap, cannot remember (too many sleeps since then) but the water was actually quite warm coming out of the system.

Good idea, Al. Keep em coming. Many a cold day I've gone and stood in the middle of the muck heap and it is amazing how quickly your feet warm up - er not that I am suggesting marketing your own brand of hand and foot warmers :-D
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Sara

Post by Sara »

Well done Al.......It certainly a good idea.. :-D What will you use the hot water for? If i remember rightly the small holding is a little way from your house so i guess you will use the warm water at the small holding......But what for? :oops:

Its an interesting idea, I know muck heaps generate lots of heat, like bluebell ive spent a long time standing in them to warm my feet but i would never have thought of doing that )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX