springwatch

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

springwatch

Post by chickenchaser »

Hi, is anyone watching Springwatch? I thought the baby greenfinches looked just like sweet chestnuts when they first showed them and now they are about to fledge.

Isn't nature wonderful (f+
Jackie xx
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

:oops: stupid me, they're not ready yet. The goldcrests have fledged. Next to go will be the sedge warblers and blackbirds.

They did look like sweet chestnuts though. LOL
Jackie xx
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Ive been watching it Jackie, Bill Oddie makes me laugh! I missed Wednesdays, what happened with the Blue Tits?

Rachel
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I missed it too but I think another one died. I have been watching their webcams and they put the family of blue tits on this morning when the goldcrests fledged . There are only 3 left. It's very sad,the mother is having problems getting them to eat. Usually there are loads of babies.

It's not easy for her, poor thing. I wonder how it will turn out.
Jackie xx
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I tend to watch snipits, if Im not busy - I get emotionally attached, so cant watch it too often, cos all I do is blub!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

This week I've rescued a baby robin, from the shed. And a recently fledged ggreat tit. That was stuck between a parapet and a wall of glass. I heard it calling its parents, thought , that sounds near. then saw the poor thing. I went down to the courtyard and got the fish net. He held on to that as I eased him up to the open window and off he flew with great relief! :razz: Plus the biggest fattest bumble bee I ever saw! he got the net treatment too! Such a busy time (f+ (f+ The colonel has the company of a multitude of baby rabbits now and they aint fraid of nowt!
Looove chucks!
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I thought I heard Bill Oddie mentioning something about the male Blue Tit eating all the babies, maybe he was referring to last series.

You sound like youve been having fun Seahorse. Ive not saved any animals. Ive seen ladybirds having a bit of hows your father on my sweet peas, thats about as close to nature as Ive got this week.
)j;

Rachel
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Got sparrows nesting in our eves but i expect that they'll be fledging soon.
Never miss spring watch if i can help it, or autumn watch come to think of it.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Talking of birds, When I went into work at the Motorhome job last week, they gave me the keys to my vehicle. I checked all around it, and spotted some grass and twigs sticking out from the rear wheel arch. On closer inspection I saw a bird had built a nest on the top of the tyre, and was sitting on it. I went back to the office and said, 'I can't take that one', they gave me another. I put a notice on the windscreen saying, 'Do not move this vehicle, bird nesting.'

A week later the bird is still there. I hope no one wants to buy the £50,000 motorhome, untill the babies have flown the nest.

Ilona
:shock:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nice story.

Birds amaze me.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Birdie with posh taste then? No cheapy caravan for her!
Looove chucks!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Mother nature is amazing. As we know only too well it can also be very cruel. There was a blackbird nest down the allotments, it looks like mum and 3 babies made it, cat got the 4th. :cry:

Jackie - you'll have to have a trip to Old Moor, at Dearne Valley (RSPB Wetlands), in the Cafe there they have a web-cam of an owl sitting on eggs.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Meanqueen wrote:Talking of birds, When I went into work at the Motorhome job last week, they gave me the keys to my vehicle. I checked all around it, and spotted some grass and twigs sticking out from the rear wheel arch. On closer inspection I saw a bird had built a nest on the top of the tyre, and was sitting on it. I went back to the office and said, 'I can't take that one', they gave me another. I put a notice on the windscreen saying, 'Do not move this vehicle, bird nesting.'

A week later the bird is still there. I hope no one wants to buy the £50,000 motorhome, untill the babies have flown the nest.

Ilona
:shock:

I am pretty certain that there is a law that protects nesting birds and that to knowingly disturb them can mean fines and stuff. I also seem to recall a chap who recently went to prison for having an egg collection containing some endangered species.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

I will tell you a little story.

Last year as Spencer went up the garden a baby collard dove fell down, it was a little feathered. The nest was a complete mess, no building regulations at all, no wonder it fell out. Anyway doing what 'they' say we put it in an empty bird bath, just underneath the nest.
After a wait a parent came back, looked around the nest and flew away again. We thought daft bird [which was true] but then the 'baby' walked around from behind the bird bath. Aha it had fallen out. I went to put it back and the other one was still there. Oops now there are two !
Didn't know what to do the parent is still coming and looking all around the nest but not noticing it's offspring about 3ft below.
Soooo I got an old hanging basket filled the bottom with grass cuttings, put the nest in there and then the babies. Put it back and they reared them beautifully. But that is not the end. We forgot to take the basket down....You guessed it, we have two babies, swinging around in the hanging basket nest again this year. Ha Ha they are delightful.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I love nature. It is cruel but wonderful.
In my garden at the moment are: 1 baby blackbird,3 fluffy baby blue tits, 2 collered dove chicks, 1 fluffy baby wood pigeon and a baby magpie(not all at the same time though)

Under the bird table this morning were a baby wood pigeon and a baby magpie. the magpie kept skipping sideways until it was behind the pigeon and pulling it's tail then skipping away so that when the pigeon shyly turned round to see who was there, he wasn't. They kept this up for over 20 minutes. It was so funny and beguiling.I have never seen 2 birds playing in this way before.

I have started putting cat food out for the magpies in the hope it will keep them away from the other birds babies.
Jackie xx