Very poorly back.

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
hennypenny
Lively Laner

Very poorly back.

Post by hennypenny »

I have been in agony for a while with lower back problems but I can hardly walk now.
I recently had an MRI scan which showed arthritis and a bulging disc.
My back is really painful but I have pains in my groin and cramps in my legs.
It's a nightmare and I can't sit, stand or even lay down comfortably.
Have been through most of the strong painkillers and they have not worked and have thought about going for physio or seeing an osteopath.
Has anyone any suggestions what I can do before I go and jump in the canal (only joking).
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Very poorly back.

Post by AL37 »

I have had back problems for a number of years now. Firstly I would get to the docs and ask for strong pain killers and anti inflammatories.
I have had loads of physio over the years and it does help. You could also consider acupuncture, I found it was great while the neadles were in. The pain was completely gone but it some came back. Apparently it works better on some people than others.
Good luck with it.
Al )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
newto
Longlasting Laner

Post by newto »

Oh Henny penny....... Much sympathy.........

I have had several bouts of back problems.
First when I was at Uni. ( and they discovered I had scoliosis and should be about 2 inches taller!)
atleast you´ve had a scan. so any physio will be right for condition.

Anti inflammatories........ and pain killers.
I also found that deep heat or tigerbalm rubbed on the area helped, or a hot water bottle.

I know its hard, but keep mobile.
the heat will help you get moving

One thing I found is squatting.............. seems to opn up the back and help untrap he nerves. if ou are getting that too. sciatica, or numbness in legs.....
If you can manage it , coud be worth a try.

{hug} {hug} {hug} and best of luck
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Yes many sympathies.
I would definately get your dr. to get you some physio, it has helped me with the arthritis in my neck.
You might find pilates exercises help too.
Don't know about the disc problem but many people find that Glucosamine supplements help relieve arthritis.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I can really sympathize as I have had several bouts of bad back - slipped and bulging discs. I had cortisone injections into my back last time and they were amazing, with the effects lasting a few weeks.

I also found that yoga really helped. I was very sceptical about it at first but after a few months the results were fantastic. Interestingly with what newto has said, there was one position that the instructor recommended - squatting. With feet flat on the floor, not on toes, squat as low as you can get and bounce gently (just a few inches).

Good luck )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

hi hennypenny,

sorry to hear you are in pain, i also suffer, been having physio for about 6 weeks now and finally the pain is subsiding, i agree with all the above. A very gently exercise the physio got me to do is to lay on back, soft matris or yoga mat, keeping feet to the floor but bend knees bring heels near bum and then gently rock from side to side, it mobilises the pelvis, sometimes i draw knees right into chest, stretches lower disks but be careful, if you are having spasms you shouldnt do any exercise or stretching, get the strong anti inflamatories quick, also ice pack followed by hot water bottle, keep swopping every 10 mins or so {hug}
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
ey ey ya yeye ey i killed my mother.... la la la la la la la lalala gringo
http://mandysgarden.blogspot.com
newto
Longlasting Laner

Post by newto »

Mad Chick wrote:I can really sympathize as I have had several bouts of bad back - slipped and bulging discs. I had cortisone injections into my back last time and they were amazing, with the effects lasting a few weeks.

I also found that yoga really helped. I was very sceptical about it at first but after a few months the results were fantastic. Interestingly with what newto has said, there was one position that the instructor recommended - squatting. With feet flat on the floor, not on toes, squat as low as you can get and bounce gently (just a few inches).

Good luck )t'

cortisone..... never got offered that. but they did start mmming about operating............. just said NO, NO, NO,..... not unless I was at death´s door or about to be wheelchair bound...
never did find out what they had in mind!

Yoga..... I was advised against it!.......
The squatting. I discovered by accident...... went to speak to friend sat in car.couldnt bend forewards, so squatted holding on to door.... when I stood up. the pain had miraculously gone......... came back soonish, but found it worked nearly every time..

FLAT shoes. no heels......... and pref trainers with good arch support!..
when the physio told me that. I went straight to shoe shop, would have paid ANY amount ( well within reason) ....... and the only ones I found that fitted the bill........ the cheapest! :-D
( mind you never could wear heels anyway)
I buy insoles now to help..........

The worst thing I remember. is the first time. they put me on a stretching rack yike* . but that was a LONG time ago.................

a good firm mattress helps. or put mattress on floor, if not firm enough..
( does make getting up a bit more awkward though :-D )

painkillers and heat fr now...... well maybe alternating heat /cold. but that doesnt work for me.

Here´s more {hug} and sympathy
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I've had 2 back operations for predominantly Sciatica, firtst was a partiel discectomy- reoved most of the disc between L5 and S1. That was in 2000, then still in pain after 4 years so in 2004 had fusion carried out between these discs - using titanium screws and a cage.

Still in pain and on 8-10 painkillers a day as still in pain but not as much as it was - or I would not still be breathing..............

Add a sprinkle of 6 stents in my swinging brick (they said heart), and 6 dr-ugs for that a day. }hairout{
So all in all - I'm ........ed sile}
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Steve the Gas wrote:I've had 2 back operations for predominantly Sciatica, firtst was a partiel discectomy- reoved most of the disc between L5 and S1. That was in 2000, then still in pain after 4 years so in 2004 had fusion carried out between these discs - using titanium screws and a cage.

Still in pain and on 8-10 painkillers a day as still in pain but not as much as it was - or I would not still be breathing..............

Add a sprinkle of 6 stents in my swinging brick (they said heart), and 6 dr-ugs for that a day. }hairout{
So all in all - I'm ........ed sile}

Sounds nasty Steve.. {hug}

But at least people can hear you coming with the rattling... )run(
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I forgot to say....

I was only advised to start the yoga when my back was feeling quite a bit better, more as a preventative to stop it getting bad again. I wouldn't do anything that strenuous on a back that is already in spasm.

Have you not been given any physio already? I would have thought that would have been the docs first port of call before an MRI... My physio gave me a list of exercises years ago that really help. Every time I feel my back starting to get bad again, I start the exercises up again and it stops it (should really do them every day anyway :oops: )

Get yourself to a physio (your GP will refer you) and get them to sort out some exercises specific to your back problem. I'm sure it will help enormously )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
newto
Longlasting Laner

Post by newto »

Mad Chick wrote:I forgot to say....

Have you not been given any physio already? I would have thought that would have been the docs first port of call before an MRI... t'

Could be better having the scan first...........

up till I had my scan the physio hadbeen all wrong.and made me worse. My disc had unusually, popped out inwards........, albeit that was a bonus in pregnncy... cos it kpt it in place.. :-D
hennypenny
Lively Laner

Post by hennypenny »

Thank you all you lovely people for getting back to me.
I have had all sorts of weird things happening me to me over the last couple of years and my Dr has been trying to eliminate certain things.
She referred me for the MRI scan as I have had alot of problems with balance so that was the reasoning behind it.
I knew I had the arthritis but I didn't know about the disc until I got the result.
I have had loads of pain killers and physio for the arthritis but will have to sort out the disc problem now.
I have got an appointment with the neurologist tomorrow.
Everything seems to be happening at once.
Never had a thing wrong with me and then suddenly it all starts to go.
I really do appreciate your suggestions and will try them out while I get an appointment with a physio/osteo.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I do feel for you as I have had mobility problems for a few years now. Had one hip replaced last Sept and waiting for the second one to be done. Arthritis in the top and bottom of my spine has to be managed.
I do find that a heat pad helps, but the real help for me is to lay on the floor on my tummy. Physio suggested laying on my back with legs up but too painful. I think the tummy lay must align the spine. I know a bit difficult getting down, but worth the try. Hope you feel better soon.

June
I am now a widow and live with my memories.