Anyone had...

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
stiggy
Lively Laner

Anyone had...

Post by stiggy »

...shingles?

I went to the doctor yesterday after half my face, and the glands in my neck ballooned up to quite an unusual shape, and was given two different types of penicillin, and some antibiotics...

...and my nerves were soothed (not!) when she got in another doctor, and they both said that should my eye start weeping, that I should go to A & E immediately!

I took a pictue earlier, but to be honest I'm not sure if anyone could tell the difference, but it does look like someone has swiped me with a plank of wood!

:(
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Not had them yet but don't believe the old wive's tale that says when they meet in a circle around your body you die yike* It's not true!

Unfortunately some people are left with nerve pain for some months after the shingles have cleared up.

Hope that's not you, stiggy and you feel better very soon.
Jackie xx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I heard that one as well.

Not very nice stiggy and very painful I believe.

The getting better needs patience !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

Thanks for your kind words...

... yeah the docs said that shingles basically attacks the nerve ending, hopefully they caught whatever it is early - although I had symptoms for 3 days before I was able to get a docs appoint - even went to our local A &E but was told they only dealt with 'minor injuries'.

I even had to stand there while a stereotypical old granny gave me HER opinion of what was wrong, which varied from sunburn to a bit - because ... she could see a lump on my neck...

..It was incredibly difficult not to give the kindly frail old granny a few of my OWN opinions...

... actually, that was the worse bit of this experience - apart from my eye closing up now.

:(
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Oh stiggy you poor thing. Ive not had shingles myself but i know it can be very painful. Try not to overdo things and rest if you can. Shingles can affect the eyes so im aware. if you can take things easy you wil be more likely to fight this off. Stress is a big factor with shingles and if you are run down it tends to be worse. Hope you feel better soon.
Lucy x
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not had it myself, but my son had it in his hair.
As Lucy says lots of rest and getting stressed doesn't help. Lots of chook watching is the order of the day methinks.
A Big Cyber Hug
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
*Di*
Lively Laner

Post by *Di* »

I had them when I was 12/13 years old!! And I can well remember how much discomfort I was in... :cry: I remember also feeling some of the pain for quite a long time afterwards...I was told that silly tale by my grannies...so was paranoid till the rash finally started to fade....Hope you feel lots better soon Stiggy....*Hugs*..

Dianne x
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday...
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I've had shingles - when I was about 15/16 and doing my GCE's.
I got it in the ear/neck area, and down my back. It was mur.der - and you're not wrong when you say the nerve ending pain lasts after the rash has gone, it still hurt if I got run down a couple of years later!!!

Stiggy, you need to take care of yourself, get plenty of rest and sleep.

Hope you're on the mend soon
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

Just a lil update - I've got another docs appointment this morning @10:30 but the swelling has gone down a lot.

I'm hoping that the medication will be changed today - mainly because psychologically I just can't take this many tablets in one day lol!

My throat closes up after the first 3. (I'm on 22 a day at the mo!)

Still, I only have to look at my son to realise it isn't that much of a deal in the big scheme of things....

...but thanks to those who care.

)t' )t' )t' )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh my goodness 22 tablets. I hope they drop them down as well. I think I would have a hard time with that many.
Good luck
Wendy

juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Good luck at the docs stiggy. Hope they reduce the amount..22 thats a hell of a lot of tablets for anyone to cope with!
Lucy x
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

Went to doctors - it was definately to do with the nerves on the left side of my face, he wasn't sure if it was cellulitus or shingles or something else.

Either way I'm still on the same meds, and at least now my face is almost normal size again.

)t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh dear still 22 ?
Well if needs be, poor you
Big hugs again
Wendy