fat :S

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Pucca
Lively Laner

fat :S

Post by Pucca »

hiya everyone

i have an aunty, and she is rather fat, and she is just getting fatter, i am very worried about her.i
i dont know how to tell her as she is very sensetive about the weight issue.

please can somebody give me some advice on how to resolve this

thank you.

x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not easy,
Try to get her to go to weight watchers. You get the support from others in the same situation.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Pucca
Lively Laner

Post by Pucca »

she has already been to weight watchers, she went 4 about a month, but she never sticks to it. :( its really worrying

x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You are right to think that over weight is a bad thing, and good that you are concerned.....but.....
it is difficult to tell some-one else what to do without putting them off.
Then there can be other reasons than overeating for putting on weight. Heart conditions can lead to water retention. dr-ugs for arthritis etc. can lead to weight increase. (And, of course being overweight then makes things worse).

I think you should discuss this with your parents before saying too much to your Auntie.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Can you find some sort of physical activity you can take up together? Weight gain is because of taking in excess calories and not taking enough excersise. If she is quite big, you will have to start with something gentle. It will be a fun way for you to do something together. I know I'm much more likely to excercise if I know someone else is depending on me to be there.

This way, you won't have to mention her weight at all and it could be the kick start she needs to feel more energised.

It's nice you care about her, tread carefully though )t'

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Pucca
Lively Laner

Post by Pucca »

the other problem is that she doesnt admit she has a weight problem, and i cannot get her 2 do any type of activity as she has become extremly lazy after she has bought her new car!

x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Until she admits it to herself and wants to help herself. There isn't a lot you can do other than support when the time comes for her to want to lose weight herself.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

I do not like to say it but i have a very large friend who if you look at her you wouls say oh my god, but this is actually down to her medication!, sounds hard to believe but i know as her weight goes up and down like a yoyo, so maybe this could be her problem too, its only a suggestion :)
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I have got a couple of really over weight friends and tell them on a quite regular basis; but then again they are my friends and not family and I know them well enough to know that I can get away with it. Neither has lost any weight as a result by the way so probably not worth mentioning it.
Bah Humbug
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I'm overweight. I hate excercise, gyms and I won't be seen dead in a swimming costume, I'm not very good at dieting, so I decided gardening a bit more vigorously was good for the soul and decided to put in raised beds.
I know what a thrill it is to grow and eat your own stuff, so maybe you could encourage her to do that?
I lost some weight last week, so I know it works :)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think there's overweight and overweight. Some are comfortable with their weight, some are naturally a certain weight.
But if it's affecting your health now or in the future, then it's a problem.

But it seems that overweight is the number one medical problem nowadays.

Some are the other way round. I literally eat for England, all day, loads of food, but I've been between 10stone and 10st7lbs since I was 18 (42 years ago). I'm 6'0".

It's good during the summer, but in winter without a better skin colour I can look quite ill !

How do you tell someone? That's a problem isn't it. It's adjacent to people having an odour problem !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

In my opinion you shouldnt be 'telling' people they are fat/overweight/obese at all. Lets face it, they probably are aware of it, its not something you can hide, is it??

It would be like me 'telling' people not to smoke/be a vegetarian/drive to work etc etc.

It seems to me, if you dont fit in the mould of mediocrity, then you are victimised for it.

This thread has annoyed me enormously, and I really dont believe people should be bullying others for their size. )de:
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very valid points Citrine.

Joking aside, Grandchildren are very good at pointing out a problem. The innocence of youth etc.

You are right that people usually know a situation and if they don't want to do anything it's up to them.

You can have nine people say you are looking well, but will worry if one says you look under the weather!

To really put the cat amongst the pigeons, still on topic sort of, why do you pay the same for an 'XXL' as you would a 'S' ?
The XXL uses more material etc.etc.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...you dont always Richard!! I had to pay more for my bee-suit, because it was bigger. Hubby has to pay more for clothes because he is tall.

I think its a chain-store thing, they supply in such large quantities, that they can charge the same.
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Get a wii fit board (f+ (f+ (f+

It's really funny - knackers you out sometimes aswell....
Small steps lead to big changes