Paper brick maker

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
p.penn

Re: Paper brick maker

Post by p.penn »

Honestly Manda - mine is!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
homerj
Learner Laner

Post by homerj »

interesting reading guys , regarding the bleach I think that adding the bleach is intended to speed up the mush process only so if you do it without bleach and leave it for 2 days you dont need the bleach, is this right guys ?
[center]A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?[/center]
cannyClaire
Lively Laner

Post by cannyClaire »

I looked at getting one of those brick makers, but have nowhere to store the bricks while they dry. So, as a quicker option, I roll my unwanted paper tightly and slip it inside a toilet roll tube, and use as a log that way.

Incidentally, I'm sure the Home Farmer magazine had an article many issues ago about making a storage rack out of old pallets, for the bricks to dry on.
homerj
Learner Laner

Post by homerj »

I am still awaiting the brick maker, I have squeezed it in my hand, very mushy & left it pellet shaped on top of the c/h boiler in the garage & after 4 hours it was 90 % dry :)

I think with mushing it up it makes the paper much more dense thus giving a longer burning time so I would say it's well worth a try.
[center]A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?[/center]
Armybob
Learner Laner

Post by Armybob »

I just started making my bricks, it's Apr, so plenty of summer dry time.
For stability, I place 2 pop cicle sticks about 1/3 from start, then again 1/3 from finish.
I also mix in a few hand fulls of cedar shavings, used for hamster bedding, with hopes this will help with the burn, along with a pleasant aroma added in.
As for the paper I use, just shredded waist, nothing glossy, as it will not absorb water as well.
How well they will hold together, and how well will they burn, won't know that till the time comes. As for now, I just find it a nice time consumer, a bit messy, but, so are a lot of things, yet we do them as well, it's the right thing to do....our part, our world.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

Yes, it is a bit time consuming, but if you make up enough to last you quite a while, it's worth it.

I like the sound of yours.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome