Wheelie Bins.............again

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Wheelie Bins.............again

Post by secret squirrel »

Recently had a letter to say we cant put stuff in the recycling bin if its in a black bag, any more. I bet this will be the start of rude letters to tell us off if we put the wrong things in the bin. We are also told we have to have a `brown` bin for garden waste, which we can purchase if we choose. )gr: The Bin which is the biggest is the one for random rubbish and the bin for re-cycled stuff only gets collected every fortnight and its already full after one week. )gr: Bout time they gave us the service we pay for instead of us doing all the work for them.
Takes our total of bins to 4. I wish they would prosecute retailers who put so much packaging on food, and we dont actually buy much processed food either.
How do people get rid of all their stuff if they live on a diet of instant meals which comes in several layers at a time.
Do you all have more bins than us.?
There is somewhere in England where they have 9!!!
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Steve the Gas

Re: Wheelie Bins.............again

Post by Steve the Gas »

I have a black bin ( the original) that is emptied once a fortnight.
A brown bin for 'garden waste' that is emptied march to october on the alternate week to the black bin.
Recycle bags - like large carrier bags but alot heavier. Started with 2 I thinkthen when it gets windy my garden seems to accumulate with them )w(

When these are emptied, the rumours are untrue that it resembles the sound of empty lager cans. Got quite a few bags now :oops: hic
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Counting our blessings as weekly collection of general and recyclable rubbish and from March to November fortnightly green uplifts and if we want extra green bins we can have as many as we need for...................zilch.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

{rofwl} {rofwl} We are not supposed to leave extra bags beside the bins, or the binmen get quite `agressive`. I did get told off once for putting `rubble` in the bin. You have to get rid of the stuff somehow, dont you? )grin2(
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

When we lived in Ashford we had a recyle of paper (not cardboard) cans and glass every fortnight. All plastic went in the weekly dustbin collection(black dustbin bags). Garden collection stopped a year before we left. They said that it wasn't paying but they used to sell the compost.
We have lived here 18 months now and until a month ago recycled everything. We were quite proud of ourselves, considering bonfires are banned so we couldn't burn anything. There are loads of recycle banks everywhere which are for glass, tin and clothes. We can go to the tip which costs about €3 a car as long as its not rubbish then they charge €6 a bag.
As I say until a month ago we recycled until we decided to pay €250 a year for 2 wheelie bins. One for rubbish one for recycle which we have to take down to the end of the lane(quarter of a mile) and are collected on alternate weeks.
Like as been said if the manufactures didn't use so much plastic life would be so much easier.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Maggie1 wrote:We can go to the tip which costs about €3 a car as long as its not rubbish then they charge €6 a bag.

So you can dump a car in reasonable nick for €3 but a bag of rubbish costs you €6. Isuppose it's cheaper to dump a car because they get the scrap metal value.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Oh dear theres always a funny one. There are really hefty fines for dumping. One woman last week dumped a black plastic bag of rubbish. They went through it with a fine tooth comb, found her address. For her sins she was fined €1,000. It increases each week its not paid and if not paid you go inside. We also have helicopters that go over and check nobody's having bonfires. Funnily enough I haven't seen any dumped cars since being here.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Maggie1 wrote: We also have helicopters that go over and check nobody's having bonfires. Funnily enough I haven't seen any dumped cars since being here.

I though that it was only Ashford that had Burnt out cars dumped on street corners......... +confused+
Bah Humbug
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

didn't see many in Ashford either. We used to recycle our wrecks by taking them to the local fire station and they could use them for traing in cutting out people out of wrecks
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

We had a car dumped down the lane once, well it wasn't dumped, some boy racer bloke thought it was a short cut, drove down, didn't see the Lane finished before the stream and went straight in it. Blimey I laughed !!

Ashford still do the re-cycling boxes every fortnight and to be fair it is a bit of a polava, the Van stops outside at about 6.45 and a couple of blokes sort it all out, so because of the heavy wine drinkers over the Lane, it's a bit of a noisy affair.
But they are quite efficient.

At my daughters, they have wheelie bins but are ruled by H&S; won't do this, won't take that, it's bad, but the bins are a lot bigger than our boxes.

The thing I say to people is don't just sit, moan and accept it, I've lobbied the Council about it along with suggestions for the local Tip and was asked to go and meet up with someone, we came to a few half decent ideas with the second. So the thing is, don't just accept something's not right, try and correct it, if we don't, we are not heard and they're none the wiser about things not being right.
Half the problems are our own - power to the people :-D

Interesting

PS. Ashford Firemen are renowned for their good deeds )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Our area is the "usual" black bin thats emptied fortnightly, and we have a red plastic box for paper etc and a blue plastic box for cans and plastics and a grey bin for garden waste and carboard emptied on the alternative week to the black bin.

What angers me is that I had a "local authority" letter the other week telling me how much they saved this year alone by us all recycling, Yet what baffles me is the council tax and rates goes up! No saving being passed down to any of us just them saving money so it seems! {mr.angry}
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
manda

Post by manda »

We don't have wheelie bins where we are in NZ ( I think they had just started using them in Christchurch :? ) and because we are rural we don't have council rubbish pick ups either, pick up is by a private company or you buy your sacks and take them to the dump.

Anyhoo...our bins are big oil drums...you can put whatever you want into them (bar stuff like oil or chemicals..obvious banned stuff), however you pay per bin removed.
We take recycling to the dump as it's free....we collect all the stuff that can be recycled over a few months and then bung it in the trailer and drop it off down there - they have big skips and you just drop it in the appropriate skip. Saves a fortune on the cost of bins so it really gives another incentive (except wanting to preserve the planet a bit longer) of saving you money on your rubbish collection.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

We have 4 recycling bins. A black one for rubbish. A green one from household and garden waste. A brown one for glass, cans, plastic. A blue one for paper.
It is a nuisance having to stand out there, going this for, this for this. But it is surely better.
We didn't get the brown bin until about November and so all plastics, bottles etc went into the 'rubbish' bin. So went to landfill. Considering that the brown bin is full now when it is emptied, that was shocking. The 'rubbish' bin has hardly anything in it now only about a 1/4 full every two weeks.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sara

Post by Sara »

We dont have our own bins {cry}

We have the big bins for landfill rubbish which are dotted around the village and there is one lot of big recycling bins in the village.... Luckily the rubbish bin is just outside the barn doors and the recycling bins are at the end of the road.... :?

We tend to collect together all the recycling and take it down in the wheelbarrow or the car every week or two... )t'

Its a bit of a pain to be honest but its better than nothing :-D
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

That does seem common sense for recycling.....plastic is a no. All our recycling (blue bin) is dry stuff,not even bottles. Green is garden but supposedly no food stuffs. Grey is rubbish. They alternate weeks here.