fat :S

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

People are overweight for different reasons. I knew someone years ago who was 23 stone, he went for loads of tests at the hospital, tried all kinds of diets and treatments, nothing worked. It was in his genes.

I don't see my friend who lives in the south very often, she and I have always been a similar height and weight. I was shocked when I last saw her 18 months ago, she has gained several stone. All this is down to comfort eating, she went through a bad patch emotionally and ate all the wrong stuff. Now she can't get the weight off.

A chap who works in our transport office has had a gastric band fitted a few months ago, the change is amazing. He looks a lot fitter and healthier, and he is happier.

I think it is insensitive and rude to tell someone they are too big, or too skinny, or make any comment at all about their appearance.

Ilona
)dwn:
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Totally agree with you Ilona
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
wendy

Post by wendy »

How is it going Morph?
Still great fun, I hope
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I don't think it's so much that someone is overwieght, as Richard said, it's if it's affecting your health.
My sister is very large, and it's affecting her health, I can't tell her anything, and don't, but my mother constantly does, but it's not because she doesn't fit a mould, it's because she's worried about her health.
It's just finding a way of saying 'I'm worried about you, I don't want anything to happen to you, I'd like you to live longer so I can have your company for longer'
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Taff, you've used the words exactly. But do underweight people get as much grief?? Anorexics get loads of help on the NHS, and frankly, what they are doing is against the survival mechanism. Obese people jsut get ridiculed, pointed at and nagged.

Of course, its not PC to condemn Anorexics, but its ok to poke fun and marginalise those who are overweight.
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

my weight is perfect
i'm just 12" too short
and theres not alot i can do about that!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Citrine wrote: But do underweight people get as much grief?? Anorexics get loads of help on the NHS, and frankly, what they are doing is against the survival mechanism. Obese people jsut get ridiculed, pointed at and nagged.

I have no idea about official statistics, but I know walking down the street, I see more overweight people than excruciatingly skinny ones.
Obese people also get help on the NHS. Both have problems of one kind or another, it's just easier to classify fat people as lazy, and stupid rather than find out why.
Physically, you can see the results more easily on a frame than with under-eating because the fashion is skinny.
I doubt many of the so-called overweight people would have been classed as that 100 years ago, but societies change.
I don't know whether the prepoderance of ready-meals and cheap food is responsible for a lot of it. You're encouraged to do more, do more, eat on the fly, watch telly instead of sitting down and having a meal as a family, and people get used to eating horrible food, that's fancily packed, or the cheapest of the cheap, full of additives and extra flavours, salt, sugar etc. I never really ate that kind fo thing, but in the past year, due to circumstances I have been, and it's disgusting. It just tastes chemical to me, but it's all some people are used to.
That was a bit of a ramble, and I've completely forgotten my point.
Anyway, long live the Slow Food movement :-D
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I doubt many of the so-called overweight people would have been classed as that 100 years ago, but societies change.

It's true that 'fashionable' size/weight has changed but so has life expectancy. 100 years ago many people stood a strong chance of dying in infancy or of TB, for example. Society has got very good at increasing life expectancy and curing or eradicating killer diseases.

The problem with people maintaining 'unhealthy' lifestyes (not throwing stones from this greenhouse, just making the observation :? ) is the fact that they are more likely (again, not for definite, just more likely) to develop a condition which will require (expensive) medical treatment.

People are free to make their own lifestyle choices but the NHS have to provide the care we all need and it shouldn't be surprising that the government should be trying to keep us healthy - it will save them money.

Whatever it is that you fail to keep within recomended limits ( )eat( )pty $cf$ )sm( (can we have a wine Emoticon, please?)) there is no way you can go without being aware of what you are doing.

The reason to do the 'bad' thing must outweigh the reasons not to, even knowing those who you care about and who care about you want you to stop.

Nah, I've thought about it and I'm having a glass of wine - 3 units in a glass, you bet ((w

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
wendy

Post by wendy »

I am just about to have one as well Effie, I will raise my glass to you and 3 units.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning