Accepting who I am..

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Accepting who I am..

Post by Benny&Co »

saint-spoon wrote:
Benny&Co wrote:I don't care what they said as this 40 year old will be staying long! :-D :-D :-D

I am assuming that you avatar is a 19 year old photo then.

{rofwl} that was one of my 40th birthday nights out! Just this February )pty
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

It must be the long winter thats affecting us!!!
I'm 57 now and spend a few months thinking "I am who I am and am happy with myself" etc etc... then dive back into the " my god whats happening to me, I dont like the way I look" mode..
I dont want to 'conform' I just wish gravity wasn't so ruthless!!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

You do have to accept that as you get older your body does alter and you will quite probably never weigh as little as you did.
For years I weighed around 7st. In my forties I went up to 8st 12. The after fifty it started to pile on. I am 5ft 2.
I went to WW and said I would like to get back to 8 st again and they nearly had a fit. Not possible, we settled on 9st which was achievable. But hard work, I find it easier to stay about 9 st 3lb.
Please don't think you are old. I am 67 this year. I will age how I want, not how others think I should. Many think at my age I should not have long hair, or wear fashionable clothes.
I like to be slim and I think it is worth keeping at that weight, especially as I have three Diabetics in the family and my chances of getting it are 600 times more than someone without siblings who have it. Biggest factor is weight. I have one sister in a wheelchair and losing her sight because of diabetes. I don't want to go there. I have a big incentive to keep my weight down. Diabetes, brings some horrible things with it sometimes.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up optional )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Same here Willow..things are dropping pretty rapidly here... :shock:

Its SCAREY!!!! yike*

Wendy..good post and very true, it's just that my body doesn't act/feel like it used too..just having trouble accepting that I can't move etc as quick as I did when I was 20 ish..but I will just carry on and try not to beat myself up about gaining a few pounds..my weight is fine really if truth been known.I'm just trying to be too slim. }hairout{
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

That is the problem LDG.
We try to get something that is no longer possible. Aim to be as fit and healthy as a person of your age can be. Whatever age that is.
When you are young the more you do, the more you want to do.
But as you get older. The more you do, the longer you can keep on doing it.
We never stop, but I do have a husband who never warms a chair. Trying to keep up with him, is like trying to catch the wind and he is 69 this year. Perpetual motion he is :?
Wendy
{hug}

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Thanks Wendy {hug} )t'

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

wendy wrote: I do have a husband who never warms a chair. Trying to keep up with him, is like trying to catch the wind and he is 69 this year. Perpetual motion he is :?

I feel like I am in perpetual motion (physically and emotionally) but not only do I know I can't keep it up, I really don't want to. I want to find inner peace somewhere, and that seems very elusive at present.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

p.penn wrote:
wendy wrote: I do have a husband who never warms a chair. Trying to keep up with him, is like trying to catch the wind and he is 69 this year. Perpetual motion he is :?

I feel like I am in perpetual motion (physically and emotionally) but not only do I know I can't keep it up, I really don't want to. I want to find inner peace somewhere, and that seems very elusive at present.

{hug&kiss}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww he is very happy in his little world. Being the most aggravating person on the planet. I think I have told you the thing my parrots says most is. Spencer ! Where are you ???

Have you thought of trying yoga, Helen. I have heard that is good for mind and body.
{hug} {hug}

rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

{hug} to all who feel age is catching up with us!
I felt about 16 until I hit my 50's, thought I would feel young forever. But this last year or so, I've been forced to accept that I am slowing down a bit, and the weight is inevitably creeping up a bit too as my metabolism slows.
Most annoying for me is that I dance (mainly Israeli folk dancing) and can't pick up the new dances quite as quickly as I used to, and forget them quicker if we don't do them for a while.
But I've realised I just have to accept it's the way things are. I can only do my best by eating well, keeping active and using my brain.
There are some pluses too - I am more patient and tolerant than I used to be, and can relax more easily - don't have to be running around every second of the day.
So here's to growing old(er) gracefully! >mmm<
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

They have just started ballroom/latin dancing classes at our local village hall and I was so surprised that Alex agreed to give the novice ballroom a go, so all I have to do is ring up and find out when it all starts. Hope it puts a spring in my step !
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Dancing is good for the soul (though not the sole - ha ha) Enjoy!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

p.penn wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the proverbial head there p.penn...
'Inner peace' being content and at peace with myself would be heaven - heres a big hug for you, and to all of us who sound as though we need one! {hug}
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Wouldn't it be lovely to have than inner peace...
I'm going to try and stop being such a wally and just eat a little more than I do ( I have a terrible diet) :oops: just carry on exercising on treadmill at work and just try and be happy with myself..I'm far too vain for my own good.

What will be, will be..

Probably be back on slimming thread having a moan about my weight tomorrow :oops:

baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

I think we all do it no matter what age/weight we are.

I remember when I was 18 I was a perfect size 8 weighed 8 stone and yet looking back I was moaning about myself then yet nowadays I keep saying I wanna be like I was when I was 18.

But i bet in another 10 years Ill be wishing Im like I am now yet now all I do is moan about my hair not being right, my weight not right lol

I`ll never moan about anything again +pinn+
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.