Accepting who I am..

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
manda

Re: Accepting who I am..

Post by manda »

I think, for me, part of accepting who I am is accepting I'm a work in progress )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

manda wrote:I think, for me, part of accepting who I am is accepting I'm a work in progress )grin2(

{rofwl} {rofwl}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

manda wrote:I think, for me, part of accepting who I am is accepting I'm a work in progress )grin2(

Whereas I seem to be the opposite..... {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

It took me until about 10 years ago to accept who I was mentally. Physically, I am afraid I dont trust medical people who told me that no matter how little I ate, that I should eat less and join a gym, even though i was working (at the time) 50 hours a week and still not losing any weight. I was a size 22. I was told I was `grossly obese`.
Eventually I asked for gastric surgery to solve `reflux` disease and they discovered I have an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit. yike* Also the gall stone which I had, for 17 years was removed and it was the size of a Cadburys cream egg. They also repaired the valve in my stomach and also the hiatus hernia and I havnt taken a single antacid tablet , since. What a surprise..............I lost weight and then Nico (dog)arrived in my life and I lost some more on my daily walks. I am now down to a 14/16 depending on what I choose to wear, so for me, its a result. I had to insist on investigations and had I not done so I might not have been here today as they discovered other `not so nice` things which `may` have developed if I had not had a hysterectomy.
So, in general, physically am am quite happy with my lot because I have a lot to be grateful for after 2 major surgeries in one year.
Its what goes on in my head that bothers me (and others, probably) because I am very hard on myself. One day I might sort myself out. Who knows.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

It sounds as if you are lucky to be still with us . If I had been through all of that I think I would have a lot of thoughts whizzing round my head. Glad that you feel healthier now and you must look terrific SS . {hug}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Lorna... {hug} {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I too have a harder time accepting who i am mentally {warn} I think if you are prone to depression,as i am , then you have to accept that there are things you cannot change about yourself and not be affraid to seek help.As you say Lorna ,it is difficult to know who to go to in the medical profession.I do have a good GP who i trust so thats a start but it cant be easy if you dont have a lot of faith in medical proffesionals {cry}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

I know when I`m depressed, but have become very good at hiding it. Probably not all that good an idea, really. Well, I `know` its not good. Thats why I have no begun saying `what you see is `not` what you get.
Physically I have accepted that at 5??? I will never look the same as when I was 20, and I`m not really that bothered, as long as I can find clothes I like.
Wouldnt want to be a size 12 again, and anyway, If I cant find what I want in the shops, I buy a pattern and make something.
Bought a nice designer pattern before christmas but still havnt finished cutting it out, let alone get it on the fabric. {cry}
Maybe next week...............or the week after....................or the week after that.
lorna
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

please dont hide your depression this won't help in the long run. My sister suffered badly years ago but hid it from BIL he just thought her a moody bu@@er and used to leave her alone and do his own thing. Alas she used to phone mum2/3 times a day and break down on the phone (Judi and I had a poor relationship at that time) and this eventually led to mum becoming quite ill with worry. I had to phone my niece and tell her to go round to her mum and deal with the situation as it was becoming out of hand , she was unaware of how ill Judi had become with depression too. The outcome is that my sister now has understanding from those near to her and should depression start to take a hold she knows to see her GP and get help - not just tablets but she also had therapy sessions which helped her to understand her feeling of low esteem,depression etc. If Judi doesnt recognise the depression coming back then there are a few people about her who warn her of the signs. I should say that nearly a year ago her closest friend died , this wasnt unexpected as the lady was severley ill but Judi didnt get to her before she died to say goodbye. Judi was broken hearted at the loss of her friend but didnt become depressed as I think the therapist she saw gave her a real insight to her own personality .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

You think you'r getting old! Wait till you'r my age (74). I still worry that I've put on weight through being inactive. Hate it that the person looking back from shop windows is really me. Hate it that after 60 you become a non person, with people talking at you loudly as though you are senile.
BUT on the good side, I still have my lovely husband who last year had triple bi-pass surgery, have my children and grandchildren and most of all am still here 15yrs after having major rectum,colon cancer surgery.
I can however understand how you feel as we all go through it, especially when someone looks at an old photo and says 'was that really you?'

June
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Post by manda »

{hug&kiss} {hug&kiss} {hug&kiss} {hug} {hug} All of ya !
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

secret squirrel wrote:It took me until about 10 years ago to accept who I was mentally. Physically, I am afraid I dont trust medical people who told me that no matter how little I ate, that I should eat less and join a gym, even though i was working (at the time) 50 hours a week and still not losing any weight. I was a size 22. I was told I was `grossly obese`.
Eventually I asked for gastric surgery to solve `reflux` disease and they discovered I have an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit. yike* Also the gall stone which I had, for 17 years was removed and it was the size of a Cadburys cream egg. They also repaired the valve in my stomach and also the hiatus hernia and I havnt taken a single antacid tablet , since. What a surprise..............I lost weight and then Nico (dog)arrived in my life and I lost some more on my daily walks. I am now down to a 14/16 depending on what I choose to wear, so for me, its a result. I had to insist on investigations and had I not done so I might not have been here today as they discovered other `not so nice` things which `may` have developed if I had not had a hysterectomy.
So, in general, physically am am quite happy with my lot because I have a lot to be grateful for after 2 major surgeries in one year.
Its what goes on in my head that bothers me (and others, probably) because I am very hard on myself. One day I might sort myself out. Who knows.
lorna

Thank goodness you kept on at the doctors Lorna {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Alex. & Annie wrote:please dont hide your depression this won't help in the long run. My sister suffered badly years ago but hid it from BIL he just thought her a moody bu@@er and used to leave her alone and do his own thing. Alas she used to phone mum2/3 times a day and break down on the phone (Judi and I had a poor relationship at that time) and this eventually led to mum becoming quite ill with worry. I had to phone my niece and tell her to go round to her mum and deal with the situation as it was becoming out of hand , she was unaware of how ill Judi had become with depression too. The outcome is that my sister now has understanding from those near to her and should depression start to take a hold she knows to see her GP and get help - not just tablets but she also had therapy sessions which helped her to understand her feeling of low esteem,depression etc. If Judi doesnt recognise the depression coming back then there are a few people about her who warn her of the signs. I should say that nearly a year ago her closest friend died , this wasnt unexpected as the lady was severley ill but Judi didnt get to her before she died to say goodbye. Judi was broken hearted at the loss of her friend but didnt become depressed as I think the therapist she saw gave her a real insight to her own personality .

{hug} A&A.

Depression is extremely debilitating and just because you can't always 'see' the symptoms it doesn't make it any less painful {cry}

Around 1:4 people in the UK suffer with mental health problems - and I always think that is only those who have been brave enough to seek help - what about all those who are suffering on their own in silence {cry}
Last edited by Benny&Co on 13 Mar 2011, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

albertajune wrote:You think you'r getting old! Wait till you'r my age (74). I still worry that I've put on weight through being inactive. Hate it that the person looking back from shop windows is really me. Hate it that after 60 you become a non person, with people talking at you loudly as though you are senile.
BUT on the good side, I still have my lovely husband who last year had triple bi-pass surgery, have my children and grandchildren and most of all am still here 15yrs after having major rectum,colon cancer surgery.
I can however understand how you feel as we all go through it, especially when someone looks at an old photo and says 'was that really you?'

June

That's sad June {cry}

Big {hug}
Bev x

secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Yes its interesting really. I estimated that over a 15 year period, at retail prices I took over £25,000 worth of antacids. I was on them for so long the doctor forgot why I was taking them. He said I could take them for the rest of my life. Didnt want to do that though because they had side effects and I knew there was surgery available to correct the condition. I think he was surprised for someone to come and ask for surgery. You will likely know about this B and Co, its called Laparoscopic Nissan Fundoplication, (not spelled like that though< its the nearest I can get) {rofwl} . My stomach is now a bit smaller, but heyho, no more blasted pills. Funnily enough, since my op, I havnt been to the doctors `once`, and I used to go every 6 weeks for 15 years to get repeat prescriptions. And that was 15 years after the whole thing started, so thats 30 years in total. I had to laugh. When I had my op, the doctor in the hospital said the scars and injuries were just like those of someone who had been stabbed, and thats what it would feel like. How would he know? {rofwl} :oops: Had to have all my food `liquidised` for 3 months after. It was horrible. Never had so much `strange` flavoured soups in my life. In the end I just yearned for a salad.
I eat what I like now, in moderation. The only downside is that having been told that I over ate, for nearly 20 years, it kinda created a strange eating disorder type of senario. I only eat when I`m hungry, which may sound brilliant, but sometimes it gets a bit out of kilter and I eat at odd times of the day and night. Generally only have one proper meal a day though and then graze.
lorna