Ashford's Shared Space Scheme

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Ashford's Shared Space Scheme

Post by Richard »

I haven't written about this before as when it was first introduced there was a lot of anti and fear of major catastrophies and in some ways, I shared that view.

Basically, the 1-way old ring road around the town centre was re-developed into a 2-way system and about half of it changed to a shared space system where cars, cycles and pedestrians have shared access with an understanding that no one has priority.

Cars are restricted to 20mph.

Anyways over a year has passed and as far as I know, no one has been run over yet and all seems good.
It's an idea brought in from Holland I think and Ashford are the first town in the UK to adopt it. (edited - not the first, almost!)

It's certainly stopped the old one way ring road from being a boy racers dreamland and the town centre has benefited much from it.

In fact, it's just won an award http://www.traffictechnologytoday.com/news.php?NewsID=19368

A good definition is found in Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

For me, it has shown that you can live by responsible behaviour to improve your environment.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Ashford's Shared Space Scheme

Post by Annie »

The British as a nation are very cautious about change of any kind imo. We have to be convinced before taking the plunge but I am pleased this experiment has worked well in Ashford )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I know there was a lot of controvosy about it when we lived there Richard. Even more when the council issued a video of how to cross the road. The old council have done a lot of stupid things but when we visited last it did look like it was all falling into place.
Some of the stupid things that I don't think the council want to remember was
Painted birds along Elwick Rd which looked like paint had been spilt and tyres had spread it along the road.

There was a lovely wooden sculpture which was called the Treeman. This was replaced with old road signs bunged all together in one spot.

Painting the paving stones in High St with Gold spray paint. It cost a lot for that to be done and when it was being done someone we know walked by and noticed the aerosols that were being used had got Wilkinsons written on.

Covering the old college building with paper and then having graffitti painted on. That would have made a lovely new library.

The painted cows that moo when you walk by them. Apparently only 1 works now.

Personally I think the worst thing they did was to move the market outside of the town. We went over on our last visit and it was just a big boot fair. I know its supposed to be a boot fair as well but I think there was about 8 market stalls. It once advertised over 200 stalls but not now.

And now I hear there is a lot of hoo ha about lighting up the tower block in Dover Place.
Ho hum progress eh!!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Maggie,

Lot's there....

I agree about International House and the lighting, not good, but some say positive in the sense of business etc.

I enjoyed the Market when it was on the Ring Road (at that time I lived in Godinton Road), great for the Stall Produce Markets, but way out dated to take the Cattle and Car Auctions I guess. I enjoy going to the new one, easy access and so on.

The Treeman Sculpture, such a pity that went.

I think we have to hold our breath and say that the changing geography, due to the Railway, has forced Ashford into modernizing. Not for all, but it was sadly lacking in general infrastructure and as you know, had it's share of behavioural problems.

Personally I see Ashford changing for the positive, they had a survey of all School Kids in Ashford and when asked what was the best thing about the town, they voted the Railway Station - so I think that shows that maybe, just maybe, kids are getting more away from a good town is the street corner where they congregate etc.

Crime is now below the larger Kentish Town average and declining. I like to think it's that people are starting to talk it up rather than continually moan and groan about things being wrong and not doing anything about it.

Kevin Borman at Hastings started a campaign 'Talk Hastings up' a few years back and in some ways, it has helped. Hastings when I lived there was mostly very run down; good work by the Council and the local MP raised the stakes.

I believe this is relevant because a new scheme coming in like it has and found to actually work well is a merit to people who are trying their best, especially the polulation.
Underneath, most people do care about each other and input into what's going on around them

Have any other members had experience with shared space, maybe Helen in Brighton?

Richard

Sorry - bit of a soapbox there !!! :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

How can lighting a building at night - possibly help business? +confused+
Richard

Post by Richard »

Agreed Steve, funny thing is that British Transport Police have one floor of it !

I should slightly change something about my last post - the Politicians shouldn't be singled out. Change does not start at the Ballot Box, it starts outside your front door.

Richard
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I think as the council own it and it also includes the job centre etc they think it will promote Ashford but as you say Steve lighting it at night isn't good PLUS who's paying the electric bill.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Think the thing is that's in an old rectangular typical 1960's cardboard box which either needs pulling down or at least renovated into something more atune with what's going on.

Picture = http://www.luxmagazine.co.uk/2010/11/well-met-by-moonlight/

Devil's advocate says they're LED lights and it's not completely OTT>
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Council tax payers are paying and adding to greenhouse gases at the same time..... result eh!! }hairout{
Richard

Post by Richard »

The Council do not own it. It's owned by the South East England Development Agency (SEEDA), although to be fair, that is funded by Government, so not directly Ashford Tax Payers.

To be honest, I've been past it at night three times in the last three weeks and went into it last week (not the Job Centre, SouthEastern Trains where I know a few people) and didn't even notice it!

On BBC South East they spoke to quite a few people about it and most didn't seem to mind because at least it made things look a lot brighter.

????

One of lifes mysteries!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

The thing is though its closing in a years time.
Richard

Post by Richard »

What is, Ashford ? :-D :-D :-D
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

No silly SEEDA. Their contract runs out next year
Richard

Post by Richard »

:-D )t'

I know there was some controversy about getting the lights in before the Quango kicked in!

Richard
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Shared space? Not sure. Brighton road planners are a bit of a nightmare, so if there was one, it would probably be shared with lions and tigers too. Mind you, that's the attraction of Brighton these days - quirky. I love the sparkly lights on the seats outside the Theatre Royal. Like stars.

We must have shared space where I live, as I have to walk along the road. Only thing is the speed limit is 60mph! Mind you, they have put a 30 limit on the road outside my house and through the village. You wouldn't know. }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com