Plastic Green House

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
stace
Legendary Laner

Plastic Green House

Post by stace »

Mr Stace has bought one of those plasic green houses today. Its all up and ready for some flower plants. He wants to order some online from Jersey, the small ones in the little pods to bring on. Has anyone ever done this? I am going to be using it for Tomatoes and onions after he moves his flowers into the tubs/ baskets. Its not a bad size, and we have set it against the 6ft fence so that it will have some shelter. It will get the sun for in the afternoons, and i think will do well where it is. My worry is that its going to take off in high winds, and end up in someone else's garden, and they won't give it back {rofwl}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Plastic Green House

Post by AL37 »

Evening Bev, Make sure it is well fatened down. Can't remember who it was but we had a member who had threirs blow away a number of times trashing everything in it.
Having said that if you can avoid it blowing away you should have good results.
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

I did the little plug plants from Jersey last year..they were simply outstanding.I was so impressed with them.
As for your greenhouse, if you put some bricks on bottom shelf it should be ok, that's what my mum did. )t'
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Must admit always have tethered my little greenhouse down as a precaution against windy weather. Why does Mr Stace want to send away to Jersey, most garden centres keep plug plants or boxes with several seedlings waiting to be pricked out? I have used the plugs quite successfully but grow a few tray of easy flowers myself from seed . Good luck with the growing )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had a plastic mini one.....in fact I still have a 4 shelf one in my back garden, but the one in my front garden took off several times and smashed to bits. }hairout{

This year I have bought a wooden one, but only as it was reduced from £99 to £30!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I used to buy the plug plants from Jersey plants up untill a few years ago..they are really good value for money if you want lots of bedding plants and don't want the bother of starting from seeds..you just grow them on in trays or 3'' pots for a few weeks.. )t'

If you put a growbag in the bottom of the little greenhouse to weigh it down whilst you grow the bedding plants on... it's there ready for you to put your tomatoes in. )grin2(
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

I had one 4ft x 6ft, i pegged it down extremely well but lost it a few weeks ago in high winds, it actually snapped the metal poles in half as the base would not move and i found it completely broken in next doors garden, unsalvageable now, so i am with out {cry}
I am planning to build one out of a bit of 2x4 and pallet wood, using the reinforced plastic cover for windows, who am i kidding +confused+ {rofwl}
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
ey ey ya yeye ey i killed my mother.... la la la la la la la lalala gringo
http://mandysgarden.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thanks Guys for the help

I will do that with the grow bags Jannie, good idea. The reason from jersey is this. There are 3 of us that want plants if we order around £70 worth, we get another lot free, so all in all it will work out about £25 each i think for that you get over 200 plants, so it sounds a great offer. We would not have the room to bring on so many from seed, although we will do as many as we can. We have during the summer about 40 hanging baskets, and around 40 planters to fill, some years its costs well into the hundreds this year we have to make the most of the money we have to spare )t' Al we will make sure it is weighted down so it does not get lost in space {rofwl} It is in a very shelterd place, with a 6ft fence behind it, so fingers crossed

Thankyou all for the tips, keep them coming )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Like Mandy, I too had got a 6' x 4' greenhouse and it was well secured but the force of the wind broke the plastic fittings (where the metal poles are slotted) and the whole thing collapsed on top of my tomatoes {cry} It sounds like yours might be alright Stace )t' Good luck with it.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

I had a 4-shelf one and two 2-shelf ones last year. All 3 where weighted down and all 3 broke because of windy weather snapping the poles near the base making them unusable.

I did use the frame works to make a fruit cage with netting in my raised bed though. But this year they have started going rusty so I quickly pulled them out of the soil and threw them away.

I shall never buy a plastic mini greenhouse again. I still have spare covers for mine as well. *sigh*
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Well here it is. Got it done yesterday. We have now bought some grow bags(Thanks Jannie) {hug} And today i have bought 4 packs of seeds,( 4 for £2 Morrisons) 2 types of lettuce Little Gem, salad bowl red/green, spring onion,and tomatoes(gardeners delight) I am going to put them onto the window sill in the spare bedroom, until it gets a little warmer. Good idea? As we have never really grown veg(always flowers) this is all very new to me, andy tips you have would be great. Thankyou all {hug}

Bev xx

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

That's a good size Bev.. and it look like it's in a good sheltered spot out of the wind.. )t'

Windowsill is good to start off the seeds..You'll have to start a veggie diary so we can all watch them grow :-D
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I will when i get them planted )t'
Bev xx

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

You'll be hooked once you start growing your own )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

We use to have a greenhouse similar to that, and we used the growbags to weigh it down and also where the bar is on the floor by the door we put metal tent pegs in, wilks do them )t'