turf, where to start?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Mrs B

turf, where to start?

Post by Mrs B »

We have ripped up the minging slabs from our sunken patio and have decided to turf it instead.

Most of the base is just hardcore and rubble (or is that the same thing?).

We don't really know what depth the topsoil should be, given that it is sunken we don't have to worry about keeping it to a certain height.

I take it turf and topsoil wise it is better to pay more and get really good quality rather than cheap as chips.

Any tips please? Neither of us have ever turfed from scratch before so are a tad flummoxed.

We have 3 lots of small steps to get the barrow over so currently we are trying to build ramps from pallets.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: turf, where to start?

Post by Annie »

I think its a good idea to mix sand through as well for help with drainage . If the grass will get a lot of walking on then probably a grass that is a bit coarse would stand up better than a really lush grass.Also I think you lay the rolls in the pattern of a wall so that the lines of the joins dont run through but are staggered.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Good tip about the sand.

Thanks A&A
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

My neighbours re-turfed last summer following a garden makeover and they top dressed with sand through the winter. Sand underneath would certainly help with drainage.
lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.