SLUGS

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Maggie1

SLUGS

Post by Maggie1 »

I wonder has anybody used Nemaslug. Its an organic slug killer thats safe with children, pets and CHICKENS. Its quite expensive and getting it posted to Southern Ireland makes it even more expensive. Before I do buy I thought I'd ask if anybody has used it and does it work. I've tried the beer traps and copper banding but they must be getting used to that as the pesky things have still had all my newly planted cauli's.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: SLUGS

Post by lancashire lass »

sorry, I haven't used it simply because I weighed up the cost of the treatments (if I recall, there is more than one spaced over several weeks) and it would have been a lot cheaper to buy my veg from the supermarket ...

Have you not tried "Sluggo" - it is supposed to be safer than metaldehyde based slug pellets and non toxic to wildlife and pets. It's main component is Iron (III) phosphate (Ferric phosphate) which is an effective molluscicide (has to be moistened first to work properly)
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Priced up the different organic slug killer and it ranges from €4-18 > It all depends which one as one contains Nematodes which is an organism that grows when added to water. We need something as the blooming slugs have eaten half the cauli's and I'd pricked out in containers 80 cornflowers in the Polytunnel and I think I've got 10 left. Found 3 of the so and so's underneath the container. needless to say they went for a swim.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Really spitting blacking. Decided yesterday to go to a big garden centre. I asked the woman did they have a slug killer that was safe to use with chickens. She said yes and showed me where it was. I double checked with her that it was OK to use with chickens and she said yes safe for pets children and chickens. I paid €9.99 for it well 2 actually so that was €19.98. Left it in the car overnight and before using it today thought I'd look at the instructions and guess what it says. KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN, PETS AND FOOD STUFFS. Needless to say they will be getting a mouthful when I take them back tomorrow.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

What a silly woman..she obviously doesn't know about the products she sells }hairout{
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I wouldn't mind but its the most expensive garden centre round here so as you say you would have thought their staff would be more informed of their stock. I wonder how many others have been caught. When your advised that its OK you just use it. If it hadn't been for the sheer fact I wanted to see what it contained that I saw the warning message.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Nemaslug is wonderful stuff & really does the job , but don't listen when they say to re-apply after six weeks . Once a season seems to be more than enough in my experience.

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

We took the slug stuff back and she assured me it was OK for chickens where upon I said how how it be it says keep away from pets and children and if swallowed seek medical advise. She said yes but it should be OK with chickens. Stupid woman. Needless to say I got my money back.
We are going to get some Nemeslug off the Internet. Problem being it costs an arm and leg for postage. But needs must.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Click on the link may be of interest ?

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product. ... =33&cat=74

Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Thankyou for that, we did try but we live in Southern Ireland and they won't send it as its classed as live. We can get it here but its triple the price. On saying that all the bother we've had we went into Lidyls last week and they are selling slug pellets that are safe for children and pets so I will have a closer look at the instructions to make really sure its safe for the girls.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Hi Maggie

The advert says they supply to the Republic of Ireland?

Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Thanks for that. I did my Sherlock Holmes and looked it up. Its a small packet. In the UK its £21 75 and FREE postage and packing. If its free postage I would presume it would go in an ordinary envelope with a 2nd class stamp on.
For here including postage its £24.48 so thats £2.73 postage which is very expensive for a small packet.
Then again I thought do I want to spend nearly £25 when I can get my latest safe slug killer for €3.99 in Aldi.
Thankyou anyway for finding that out for me