horse tail weed??

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
tomato
Lively Laner

horse tail weed??

Post by tomato »

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of horse tail weed, it grows like mad in my rockery, I am a bit unsure what to use on it as my chickens love to play in the rockery and it the only green growing thing that they wont eat!!!

Thanks, Jacqui
Jacqui xxx

Always remembering my lost girls, now at Rainbow Bridge. :)
p.penn

Re: horse tail weed??

Post by p.penn »

In a word....no. I have loads of it in my patch and it is a complete nightmare. I just keep hoeing it, but it seems to grow so fast... yike*
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

In a word you cut it and it becomes two. Its like cooch grass or bindweed. The slightest bit left behind becomes two.
Failing digging really deep and getting it out hopefully in one. Get a brushwood killer, a real strong one like Tumbleweed and paint it on. That will take it back to the root.
tomato
Lively Laner

Post by tomato »

thanks Maggie, i will try that. I have the main line railway at the bottom of my garden and i am sure it comes from there!!! I have been battling with it for years and it just grows like mad.

Jacqui
Jacqui xxx

Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If you've got the railway at the bottom of your garden I think you have a losing battle on your hands. As railway clear the sides of the track by cutting back and as I say it divides into two. You only need a bit quarter inch long and it will grow. Thats the only advice I can give you is paint it and it will take it back to the root.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

If my experience is anything to go by you are going to have to live with it , just keep hoeing & hoeing &hoeing & hoeing ------------------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{mr.angry}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

As for digging the roots out, I've read of miners finding horse tail roots growing into coal mines! yike*
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Thats why I suggested weedkiller. Horsetail goes back to Dinosaur times
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Our allotment has loads of it }hairout{

We just pull out the bigger ones and hoe in the smaller but as Maggie says they are like a hydra once a stem is seperated from the main plant it starts of on its own.

Weedkiller is not an option for us as we are in the middle of growing our veg so we have learnt to live with it.

If you dig a trench in a bed you can comb out the roots they spread mesh like about 12 to 18 inches underground. A Canterbury fork is most useful for this as you can almost comb the roots out intact

http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk ... ad-only-p4

But they will grow back eventually {cry}
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
tomato
Lively Laner

Post by tomato »

Golly, thanks for all your replies, think i am stuck with the bloomin weeds, my hoe is going to be very busy though. Thanks everyone, Jacqui
Jacqui xxx