Bamboo

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Stig
Lively Laner

Bamboo

Post by Stig »

The plan was to spend two weeks hols over the Easter break building a new shed. When I demolished the old one the paving underneath was in a state, badly cracked & lifted. The culprit was my neighbour's bamboo plant. It had extended quite sinister looking roots, rigid like bamboo poles, a good inch in diameter, up to 14 feet long & with a spear-like spike on the end. Smaller roots from these formed a dense mat. Once I'd cleared on layer & dug down, there was another layer beneath it nearly two feet underground.

It was incredibly difficult to remove it all, & I then built an underground wall in concrete block to keep it from happening again, although I doubt anything will contain it forever.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case anyone is thinking of planting a bamboo. It is admittedly a very good looking plant above ground, and sounds lovely in a bit of a breese. Be warned it can cause severe structural damage.

PS - I now have half a shed, hols are over & I'm back at the office! {cry}
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Re: Bamboo

Post by kattcollins »

Bamboo is terrible stuff and should only be kept in large pots, My mum learned the hard way years ago but she loves it so much that she still grows it but in huge pots and I have to say it does look pretty on the patio )t'
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Thanks I'll suggest a container to my neighbour. It is a shame to get rid of the plant completely, apparently they're quite pricey if you wanted to buy one. I should have potted up some of the stray roots, could've made a few bob!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, they are terribly invasive - I had one poor lady in the garden centre last year and she was almost beside herself as the neighbour's bamboo roots had almost taken over her garden. She was elderly and there was no possibility of her digging them out.

A tub (but a strong one) is definitely the only way to go.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

My friend has spent the last two years since moving into her house, trying to sort out the bamboo jungle that has taken over her garden. Now when we want to annoy her, we only have to say "Bamboo!" and she dissolves into a hysterical blob )grin2(

We have bamboo on our patio but in a huge pot. It does look lovely but the leaves make a terrible mess }hairout{
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

You mean you havn't got a panda? )j;
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

They must have flippin' sharp teeth!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I'm afraid I would get my Mrs Nasty Head on and get my brushwood killer out. I'm not a lover of bamboo so never had it.
Tel-1968
Learner Laner

Post by Tel-1968 »

Come to think of it i'm sure thats what i had popping up in my garden
These literally grew in about a week

I'm not sure if they have a bamboo tree next door though but i will ask them in a bit.

I dug them all out and now i have a raised veggie plot there, i hope they dont come back yike*