My Dad, Parkinsons and Dementia

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Maggie1

Re: My Dad, Parkinsons and Dementia

Post by Maggie1 »

My Sister knows about her condition and she has made me power of atturney before she gets bad. She can change her mind anytime but she has got to be of right mind. She has good days and bad days. I rung her on May 1st and I asked her what day it was and what happened and she said Mum died (she died 1st May 1970) Then another time she asked for her dinner to saved as Dad was coming in for his dinner and she was saving it for him (he died in 1976)
As you say its very hard. We do laugh about things and are very open with each other. She had a mastectomy with breast cancer and her nickname is Chinese lady Wun hung lo. We are always talking about it and she does know she has Dementia. Its just a shock when in the 7 months she has been in the Nursing Home she can't walk, is asleep all the time and the worst thing is, she huddles in a feotal position in her chair. This is from a woman who walked everywhere and used her bike.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: My Dad, Parkinsons and Dementia

Post by albertajune »

Hi Raven. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Dementia is such a cruel illness both for the sufferer and their family as you have to watch the person you love turn into a completely different person. I have a friend in the early stages who when I ring her goes over the same conversation time and time again. I just have to chat as though its the first time she's said something.
Try not to get too depressed about it all, although I know it is very hard. All our thoughts are going out to you. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.