Please, please I need lawn advice!

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Please, please I need lawn advice!

Post by echelon »

Please, I am desperate }hairout{

DH treated the front lawn with moss and weed killer and it now has bald patches all over it.

He's sprinkled grass seed down on the patches and raked them in. They've been watered and watered and watered, but they never seem to germinate.

He grew some grass seeds in a tray for the chickens and they germinated straight away, but not on the lawn.

What are we doing wrong? Is there anything we can use to help the lawn come back to life?

Everything else in the front garden grows fine, but not the grass. The front garden is north facing, but does get lots of sun in the afternoons.

I would be so grateful for any tips or suggestions for products we could try.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Please, please I need lawn advice!

Post by AL37 »

Hi Echelon, How big are the patches you are trying to reseed? I have more luck with with replacing bald patches with turf. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Perhaps the seed is being eaten by birds +confused+ .. I sift seed compost over the grass seed to fool them and it's usually up within 2 weeks )t'
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I'd suggest learning to live with the moss :-D Our garden is far from immaculate, and as far as I'm concerned, if it's green and survives mowing then it can stay on the lawn )t'
As far as seed goes, the last two times we've re-seeded patches, we've been very successful. we mix the grass-seed about half and half with compost (have done this with compost from the compost bin and also with a cheap bag of potting compost, both worked fine). rough up the patches a bit (a toddler with a rake works well for this) and then scatter the mixture. Try to keep off it for a while to give it a chance. At this time of year it should sprout really quickly
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

When I moved, I made the mistake of using moss killer, weed and feed on the north facing back lawn. I now have no grass at all, as it was probablly 99% moss! We have just re-turfed it, and I will never try to kill the moss again, guess I can live with it,
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

We are thinking of buying some turf for the larger patches.

I honestly don't think the birds are eating it because when I go out to water it, it's still there. Just sitting there doing nothing. I have fed the birds on the birdtable to try and keep them happy.

My husband has sprinkled some lime down because we have two conifers and he's also sprinkled some general plant food. I've watered and watered it today.

I would love a proper lawn instead of these yellow/brown/greenish tufts.

I did tell my hubby off for killing the moss because I like a moss lawn :? It's hardwearing for the kids. He also doesn't like dandelions, so he dug them out and that left largish holes too.

We used to wonder why the old bloke next door was always doing lawn treatments. We used to take the mick out of him, but now we realise that a nice, lush, green lawn is quite difficult to get!