compost

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
ChrisG

compost

Post by ChrisG »

I am looking into ways of composting all food waste, as Hubby and I want to reduce the amount of stuff we put into the bin. Now potato peelings etc are easy - they just go into the compost heap. But what can I do with leftover rice, stew, meat, fish skins, and bones (not fish bones - lamb shoulder for instance)? I did find a system that the council seem to be using in parts of North Yorkshire, called the 'green cone' and the 'green Johanna', but these seem to be really expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative.

(There is a green cone on a certain auction site, but it is collection only and is in Hampshire)
p.penn

Re: compost

Post by p.penn »

Aha! I may be of some help here as I have a green joanna. :-D

I got a green cone some years ago as I thought wow, what a great idea, but for me, it wasn't -for 3 reasons:

1)Half of it is underground, so you need to dig a 1m³ hole,

2) It needs to be in full sun (I have a teeny garden and full sun is precious)

3) You need to buy and add accelerator powder.

So then I got a green joanna and it's great. It is just like a normal composter, but you can add all cooked and raw food including dairy and it needs something like 10% garden waste too.

I have had it years - 3 at least. But never taken any compost from it yet.

I must add, mine was subsidised by the council at the time. Go to your local council website and see what they have on offer.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Fantastic, thanks Helen :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

p.penn wrote: I have had it years - 3 at least. But never taken any compost from it yet.

Is that good or bad?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire