Chicken bleeding from rectum

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kingshussar
Learner Laner

Chicken bleeding from rectum

Post by kingshussar »

Need help fast. Noticed my other two chasing lacy around garden, my warrens beak was bloody so I checked my bleeding girls bum, sure enough she is quite bloody around that area (sorry about repeating myself) I have separated them, but lacy`s bottom area is continually contracting, she laid OK this morning and she is eating, although not as much as usual.
Any Ideas as to what I should do?

Does anyone know of a chicken vet near to me?????

Very concerned.. HELP!!!!

juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Ok try not to panic...take her indoors and get some cooled water from the kettle and bathe her bum and then assess...are her bits hanging out...does it look as though some of her insides are now on the outside? if so let me know..if not and it is just a peck wound put some flour on it and that will stop it bleeding
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

I know they are prone to prolapse.
Just ring any vet thats near you, you may be suprised that they have someone good with chickens.
I know bluebell is putting together a list of chicken friendly vets, she may know one ??
Sorry could not be more helpful
Lou x
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

I have to go to work now so here is some advice if it is a prolapse.
Make sure the area is as clean as you can..apply some preparation h pile cream to the prolapse and gently push it back in....hold it there for a while..keep the bird as calm as possible. If you dont have pile cream then you can use sugar. the important thing isthat you get it back in and it doesnt dry out. I would then get her to a vet..keep her seperate and dont put her back with the rest of the flock. Good luck and hope shes ok..sorry i cant advise you on a vet in your area but as lou says just ring the nearest one to you x
kingshussar
Learner Laner

Post by kingshussar »

Thanks for the quick reply s, I did as you suggested Juicylucy, brought her in and bathed her nether regions, no sign of prolapse, applied flour, seems to have stopped bleeding, but her rectum is still continually contracting as though she is trying to poo.

I have reintroduced her back with the other two. They keep checking her out, but so far she is holding her own, the other two are only showing periodic interest.
I am watching them like a hawk.
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Phew so glad its not a prolapse..yes just keep an eye..if the others go to peck her there then take her out and put her back at bedtime when its dusk. You can apply some sudocrem to the area if it looks sore..im off to work now good luck x
Ps she may be about to lay an egg if she is pulsating
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Glad it isn't a prolapse too.
Do you think it's coming from inside or she has hurt herself somehow?
manda

Post by manda »

Glad all ok...if they go for it again you could get some gentian spray...the purple stops them for going for the wound (think the chemist is best place to get it).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kingshussar
Learner Laner

Post by kingshussar »

Thanks everybody, for your feedback. So far so good, she has not laid yet, her bleeding came from inside as there is no sign of cuts, just hope its not serious damage to her insides, I keep checking on her every half hour or so, I will get some of that gentian spray, thanks for that tip.
I wonder if she has torn something when laying, and if so will the same thing happen again. I think I am becoming neurotic about this, I thought chicken keeping would be easy, I was not expecting to become so attached, Gerty even knocks on the back door for treats and will push her way in if I allow it, strange creatures :!:
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

They get under your skin don't they )c(
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

Hi am so glad its not a prolapse as i had to deal with that problem a few weeks back, its not nice for poor chicken or owner. Hope all goes well for you x
kingshussar
Learner Laner

Post by kingshussar »

Just an update on lacy. She is back to normal and laid again this morning, no sign of bleeding thank god )t'
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

)t' thats fantastic news
kingshussar
Learner Laner

Post by kingshussar »

"Well I`ll go t foot o r stairs", Cor Blimey! would you adam and eve it.
Lacy has just delivered the most enormous egg, think large supermarket size and then double it :shock: How she passed that I have no Idea. I have checked to make sure she is ok and she is fine, WOW that must have hurt.
wendy

Post by wendy »

You will have to weigh it. That is what some of us have done. When our girls have given us whoppers.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning